Good afternoon Fair Trade Committee members, I wanted to forward Bjorn's report on the first meeting of the Maine Citizen Trade Policy Commission.  It is really energizing to know that this is a reality and that our trade issues are being heard.

paz,
Stefano Tijerina

We had our first meeting of the Maine Citizen Trade Policy Commission this
past Wednesday in Augusta.  This commission was created by all of us through
our great work this past legislative session passing the Maine Jobs, Trade &
Democracy Act into law.  The commission is now finally up & running and
set to do good work. It was a real victory to see all of our efforts finally
become a reality.
The first commission meeting was a real success. It was very well
attended; there were a lot of great ideas for what the commission could focus on;
and there was a lot of energy to really engage trade issues at the state
level. Maine Fair Trade Campaign members Cynthia Phinney (IBEW 1837 & Maine
AFL-CIO), Bjorn Claseon (PICA) and me gave educational presentations to the
commission about particular aspects of trade policy.  Commission members were especially interested in looking at how CAFTA will  impact Maine, how GATS (the General Agreement on Trade in Services) could impact Maine, and how trade rules impact Maine workers, Maine's economy and Maine laws.  There was also a lot of interest in how trade policies could impact Maine's health care policies such as Maine Rx and Dirigo Health. Our next meeting will be a daylong trade orientation and commission
workplan development session in mid November. There will be a lot of good education
at the next meeting.  These commission meetings are open to the public. I'll
be sure to let people know when the next commission meeting will be held.
Stay tuned for more information.
We should all feel proud that all of our work that went into passing this legislation has made it a reality!! The make up of the commission and the agenda from the first meeting is listed below.
Maine Citizens Trade Policy Commission

SENATE MEMBERS
> Sen. Stephen Stanley, co-chair (D- Penobscot)
> Sen. Peggy Rotundo, (D- Lewiston)
> Sen. Richard Kneeland, (R- Aroostook)

HOUSE MEMBERS
> Rep. John Patrick, co-chair (D-Rumford)
> Rep. Deb Hutton, (D-Bowdoinham)
> Rep. Rod Carr  (R - Lincoln)

ME ATTORNEY GENERAL's OFFICE
> Rep from ME. Attorney General's Office: Elizabeth Wyman

CITIZEN MEMBERS
> Small business person: Jim Wilfong
> Small farmer: Paul Volckhausen, Happy Town Farm
> Rep. of fair trade organization, Matt Schlobohm, Maine Fair Trade Campaign
> Rep. of ME based corporation active in international trade: Paul Chartrand,
> Chartrand Imports
> Health care professional: Bob Weiss, MD
> Rep. of Economic Development Organization: Carla Dickstein, Coastal Enterprises Inc.
> Rep of Organized labor: Cynthia Phinney, IBEW 1837
> Rep. of Human Rights organization: Bjorn Claeson, Peace through Inter-American
 Community Action (PICA)
> Rep. of Environmental organization: Mark Haggerty, MOFGA & ME. Sierra Club
> Rep of ME based manufacturing business w/ 25 or more employees: still to be filled

EX OFFICIO non voting members from state departments

> Dept. of Labor - Vanessa Santarelli
> Dept. of Economic & Community Development - Richard Coyle, director Maine
> International Trade Center
> Dept. of Environmental Protection - Jim Dusch
> Dept of Agriculture - Mary Ellen Johnston
> Dept. of Health & Human Services - Barbara Van Bugel

Citizen Trade Policy Commission
Initial Meeting
October 6, 2004
Room 127 (Taxation Committee), State House

 9 a.m. - Welcome from House Speaker Pat Colwell
         Remarks by Co-Chairs, Sen. Stephen Stanley and Rep. John Patrick
Introductions from Commission members attending, including primary
commission goals.
9:40 a.m. - Presentations by Commission Members:
        James Wilfong, Former Assistant Administrator for Intl. Trade, SBA
        Cynthia Phinney, Organizer, IBEW 1837
        Matt Schlobohn, Director, Maine Fair Trade Campaign
       Bjorn Claeson, Director, PICA/Clean Clothes Campaign
 10:20 a.m. - Discussion of Commission organization meeting schedule & next
 steps, including two public hearings, as provided by legislation, and
report to Legislature.
 11:00 a.m. - Adjourn.
Matt Schlobohm, coordinator

www.pica.ws/mftc