You're referring to application firewalls, and yes they exist.  There
are products available specifically designed to protect a web server
from all sort of attacks.  Look at http://www.owasp.org/ for information
about that field in general and what's going on in the open source
community WRT it.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas