Hello Fundyforum members,

I'm just a concerned citizen, one who's been doing independent research on the declining trends in marine life. Beyond the disturbing trends in the commercial fish stocks, in recent years I've been noticing marked changes in populations of intertidal organisms with which I've been long familiar.  Barnacles, mussels, periwinkles, seaweeds, nothing looks quite like it did in my earliest memories, from the 1960s. Most of these are now looking relatively impoverished. My interpretation of what's behind these changes, however, tends to be in direct opposition to the mainstream view of things these days...but the views a heretic such as myself might make a good start for a discussion.

I would like specifically to draw your attention to the decline that has occurred in barnacles. Rarely have unexploited intertidal organisms been systematically surveyed, but there are a few good older records, including a few locations in the Bay of Fundy. Intertidal locations in Nova Scotia were carefully observed and recorded by marine biologists in 1948, including sites at Hall's Harbour and Meteghan. Last summer I revisited those sites and others that the scientists had described and photographed, and I took current photos for comparison. The decline in the barnacle populations is very remarkable over 53 years. My hypothesis is that this negative change is an unsuspected knock-on effect in the ecosystem due to all of the fish that have been removed...with the result being a relative degree of starvation in the entire system now as compared to earlier years. I cannot prove that, but "what has caused the decline in barnacles?" might make for an interesting discussion. I would also be very interested in knowing whether anyone has evidence of significant long term declines in other unexploited organisms in the Bay of Fundy area. Here's the link to my photos and thoughts on barnacles: http://www.fisherycrisis.com/barnacles.html  What do you think?

sincerely,
Debbie MacKenzie
http://www.fisherycrisis.com