Hello Fundyforum members,

Although I live on the south shore of Nova Scotia, I've travelled back and
forth to the Annapolis Valley off and on for the last 25 years. In all
different seasons I've driven through Windsor and gotten that glimpse of
the mudflats that you can see from the highway. Last summer I noticed
something there that I'd never seen before: it appeared that a fairly
substantial area of the mudflat now had grass growing on it. What do you
know about this? I'm assuming that the grass is the type that normally
grows in salt marshes in this area(?)

Anyhow, I've read in different sources that "spartina," a normal salt marsh
grass on this coast is now being seen as an invasive species on the west
coast of North America where it has not normally been found. It's
considered a pest. Today I saw this item on ENN:
http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?id=6885

Excerpt: "Spartina anglica is an exotic cordgrass that is rapidly spreading
through mudflats in Puget Sound, Washington State. The invasive plant turns
mudflats into salt marshes, rendering them less able to support shellfish
or seabirds."

What struck me as strange was that the grass is "spreading through
mudflats" on the west coast - I'd assumed before that they were finding it
growing in their salt marshes.

Is the grassy growth that I saw on the Windsor mudflats something that's
been known to occur there in the past? Or is it another new
development?  If it is new, it raises the question of why this grass
species, long present in this part of the world, did not colonize these
mudflats in earlier years. What I'm wondering is whether maybe this is a
signal that the invertebrate life in the mudflats is no longer strong and
abundant enough to exclude the establishment of the cordgrass there. Might
this be another indication of a subtle decline in invertebrates that has
happened in concert with the decline in barnacles that I mentioned in my
email message yesterday? Of course it might not be, there could be another
explanation. Does anyone on this list have any insight into this question,
of salt marsh grass taking root on mudflats?

thanks,
Debbie MacKenzie
http://www.fisherycrisis.com