On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:

> I don't know if you've actually looked at the service, but the pictures
> are of the street, not focusing on anyone in it. Occasionally there is
> someone who you might be able to identify if you know who they are, but
> the pictures aren't sharp enough for the most part.
>
> >>I claim intellectual property in it, and they would have to negotiate
> a licence to use it or any deriative work based on it, such as a picture
> of me.
>
> This is an unreasonable claim. Nobody can take a picture of a public
> street you're in unless they have your permission?

Sure they can. But it's their responsibilty to ensure that in doing so,
they don't infringe anyone's copyright.

> Anf FWIW I suspect Microsoft has actually gotten permits of some kind
> with the local authorities for doing this.

That might give them permission to photograph the things that the local
authority owns the copyright to. But the local authority, cannot authorise
a breach of my copyright.

Hey - Microsoft is keen to enforce their own copyrights. I'm just asking
them to respect mine.