The average TSA worker earns $12-$17/hour.  In Florida, where this guy was
from, he was probably closer to the $12 end of the scale.  This agent is
probably in his early 20s and is only making slightly more than someone working
at a fast food restaurant.  That is about as “most people” as you can get.  And
given that most Americans don’t understand confusing status of The District of
Columbia, I stand by my assertion that it is completely reasonable for someone
not to trust a license from some place that is not an state.

This whole situation reminds me of countless experiences I’ve had working with
entry level IT/security people.  Entry level people are generally very
passionate about their jobs, probably like this TSA guy is, but they are still
filling in knowledge gaps, so it is reasonable to expect silly mistakes.  For
instance, how many of us have been told that that a client connecting to a
server has an IP address of 169.254.1.2 but they are *certain* that the issue
is with the server?  It would be easy to criticize an over zealous newbie but
that doesn’t help anyone in the long run.  And that is why I feel that this
reporter is making a mountain out of a molehill.  Does he reasonably believe
that no one at the TSA knows that the District of Columbia issues their own
licenses?  If not, then shouldn’t the story should be “1 TSA employee out of
50,000 doesn’t know that District of Columbia issues their own licenses.”

—bill