On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM,  <valdis.kletni...@vt.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:02:14 -0400, Jeffrey Walton said:
>
>> Politicians are usually corrupt to the core. They are more than happy
>> to take money and peddle influence. I'd much rather see a politician
>> killed, and I'm not sure I would bestow honors on someone who stopped
>> it...

> Yes, many of them *are* corrupt, but jumping from there to "Every single
> one of them is so corrupt that they don't deserve an attempt to stop
> an assassination" shows something pretty sad about you.
I should probably agree with you here. Not all of them deserve to be
punished. I would shed a tear for ones with political courage. But
they are very few and far between.

Here's another way to look at the penalty, though: politicians and
their friends commit crimes against the democracy and the people that
would make Bin Laden green with envy. The breadth and depth of their
crimes are unrivaled. Bin Laden himself could not pull off a crime
that affected 330+ million Americans and tore at the fabric of the
democracy.

Given that some politicians are more dangerous than terrorist, and we
kill terrorist, then what should be done with politicians who commit
crimes against the democracy and the citizens?