Credit where credit's due
by Muhammad Yunus

from The Guardian Weekly 8 November 1998

Muhammad Yunus is a banker who has a plan to end world poverty with
(GBP)17 and a lot of trust. And in Bangladesh it works. Here he
explains how

Credit where credit's due

THERE are many ways for people to die, but somehow dying of starvation
is the most unacceptable of all. It happens in slow motion. Second by
second, the distance between life and death becomes smaller and
smaller.

At one point, life and death are in such close proximity one
can hardly see the difference, and one literally doesn't know if the
mother and child prostrate on the ground are of this world or the
next. Death happens so quietly, so inexorably, you don't even hear it.

And all this happens because a person does not have a handful of food
to eat at each meal. The tiny baby, who does not yet understand the
mystery of the world, cries and cries, and finally falls asleep,
without the milk it needs so badly. The next day maybe it won't even
have the strength to cry.

I used to get excited teaching my university
students in Bangladesh how economic theories provided answers to
economic problems of all types. I got carried away by the beauty and
elegance of these theories. Yet all of a sudden I started having an
empty feeling. What good were all these elegant theories when people
died of starvation on pavements and on doorsteps? My classroom now
seemed to me like a cinema where you could relax because you knew that
the good guy in the film would ultimately win. In the classroom I
knew, right from the beginning, that each economic problem would have
an elegant ending. But when I came out of the classroom I was faced
with the real world. Here, good guys were mercilessly beaten and
trampled.

I wanted to understand the reality around a poor person's
existence and discover the real-life economics that were played out
every day in my country so I decided to spend some time in the
neighbouring village of Jobra.

I decided I would become a student all
over again, and Jobra would be my university. One day, as my colleague
and I were making our rounds there, we stopped at a completely
run-down house. We saw a woman working with bamboo, making a stool.

She was squatting on the dirt floor of her veranda under the low,
rotten, thatched roof of her house, totally absorbed in her work. She
was holding the half-finished stool between her knees while plaiting
the strands of bamboo cane.

Children were running around naked in the
yard. Neighbours appeared and watched us, wondering what we were doing
there. She was in her early 20s, thin, with dark skin, black eyes. She
wore a red sari and could have been any one of a million women who
labour every day from morning to night in utter destitution.

Her name was Sufia Begum and she was 21 years old. "Do you own this
bamboo?" I asked her. "Yes." "How do you get it?" "I buy it." "How
much does the bamboo cost you?" "Five taka." That was 13 pence (21 US
cents). "Do you have five taka?" "No, I borrow it from the paikars."
"The middlemen? What is your arrangement with them?" "I must sell my
bamboo stools back to them at the end of the day, so as to repay my
loan. That way what is left over to me is my profit." "How much do you
sell it for?" "Five taka and 50 paisa." "So you make 50 paisa profit?"
She nodded. That came to a profit of just over a penny. "And could you
borrow the cash and buy your own raw material?" "Yes, but the
money-lender would demand a lot. And people who start with them only
get poorer." "How much do the money-lenders charge?" "It depends.
Sometimes they charge 10 per cent per week. I even have a neighbour
who is paying 10 per cent per day."

Sufia set to work again, because she did not want to lose any time
talking with us. I watched her small, brown hands plaiting the strands
of bamboo as they had every day for months and years on end. This was
her livelihood. She squatted on the hard mud. Her fingers were
callused, her nails black with grime.

It seemed to me that
Sufia's status as virtually a bonded slave was never going to change
if she could not find that five taka to start with. Credit could bring
her that money. She could then sell her products in a free market and
could get a much better spread between the cost of her materials and
her sale price.

The next day I called in a university
student who collected data for me, and I asked her to assist me in
making a list of how many in Jobra, like Sufia, were borrowing from
traders and missing out on what they should have been earning from the
fruits of their labours.

Within a week, we had prepared a list.
It named 42 people who in total had borrowed 856 taka, a total of less
than (GBP)17 ($28). "My God, my God, all this misery in all these 42
families all because of the lack of (GBP)17!" I exclaimed.

My mind wouldn't let this problem lie. I wanted to be of help to
these 42 able-bodied, hard-working people. I kept going round and
round the problem, like a dog worrying his bone. If I lent them
(GBP)17, they could sell their products to anyone; they could then get
the highest possible return for their labour, and would not be limited
to the usurious practices of the money-lenders.

I lent them (GBP)17 and said they could repay me whenever they could
afford to. Over the next week, it struck me that what I had done was
not sufficient because it was only a personal and emotional solution.
I had simply lent (GBP)17, but what I had to do was to provide an
institutional solution.

That was the beginning of it all. I was not
trying to become a money-lender, I had no intention of lending money
to anyone; all I really wanted was to solve an immediate problem. Even
to this day I still view myself, my work and that of my colleagues, as
devoted to solving the same immediate problem: the problem of poverty
which humiliates and denigrates everything that a human being stands
for.

We did not know anything about how to run a
bank for the poor, so we had to learn from scratch. I wanted to
cover all aspects of rural lives such as trading, small
manufacturing, retailing and even selling door to door. I want this to
be a rural bank, not a bank merely concerned with crops and farms. So
I called it Grameen Bank which comes from the word "gram" and means
"village".

Our clients do not need to show how large their
savings are and how much wealth they have, they need to prove how poor
they are, how little savings they have.

To my amazement and
surprise the repayment of loans by people who borrow without
collateral is much better than those whose borrowings are secured by
enormous assets. Indeed, more than 98 per cent of our loans are repaid
because the poor know this is the only opportunity they have to break
out of their poverty. And they don't have any cushion whatsoever to
fall back on. If they fall foul of this one loan, how will they
survive? On the other hand, people who are well-off don't care what
the law will do to them because they know how to manipulate it. People
at the bottom are afraid of everything, so they want to do a good job
because they have to. They have no choice.

In structuring our own loans, I made the payments so small that the
borrower would not miss the money, would not even notice it. This was
a way to overcome the psychological barrier of "parting with all that
money". I decided to make it a daily payment. The monitoring would be
easier, I would be able to tell right a! way who was paying and who
was falling behind in their payments.

I also thought it would enhance self-discipline among people who had
never borrowed before in their lives, and would give them the
confidence that they could manage it.

Slowly we developed our own delivery/recovery mechanism, and of
course we made many mistakes along the way. Today we have arrived at a
simple repayment mechanism that all our borrowers understand almost
immediately: one-year loans, equal weekly instalments, repayment
starts one week after the loan, interest rate of 20 per cent  [far
less than the usurers], repayment amounts to 2 per cent per week for
50 weeks.

Now we have more than 12,000 employees and 1,112 branches
in Bangladesh. The staff meet more than 2,300,000 borrowers face to
face to each week, on their doorstep. Each month we lend out more than
$35 million in tiny loans. At the same time, almost, a similar amount
comes back to us in repayments.

Gradually we focused almost exclusively on lending to women. If the
goals of economic development include improved standards of living,
removal of poverty, access to dignified employment, and reduction in
inequality, then it is quite natural to start with women. They
constitute the majority of the poor, the underemployed and the
economically and socially disadvantaged. And since they were closer to
the children, women were also our key to the future of Bangladesh.

This was not easy. The first and most formidable opposition came from
the husbands. Next the mullahs. Then the professional people, and even
government officials.

BEING POOR in Bangladesh is tough for everyone, but being a poor
woman is toughest of all. When she is given the smallest opportunity,
she struggles extra hard to get out of poverty.

The life story of Ammajan Amina, one of our first borrowers,
illustrates what micro-credit can do for a street beggar. Of her six
children, four had died of hunger or disease. Only two daughters
survived. Her husband, much older than her, was ill. For several
years, he had spent most of the family assets on trying to find a
cure.

After his death, all that Amina had left was the house. She was
in here and had never earned an income before. Her in-laws tried to
expel her and her children from the house where she had lived for 20
years, but she refused to leave.

She tried selling home-made cakes and biscuits door-to-door, but one
day she returned to find her brother-in-law had sold her tin roof, and
the buyer was busy removing it. Now the rainy season started, and she
was cold, hungry and too poor to make food to sell. All she had, she
used to feed her own children.

Because she was a proud woman, she begged, but only in nearby
villages. As she had no roof to protect her house, the monsoon
destroyed her mud walls. One day when she returned she found her
house had collapsed, and she started screaming: "Where is my
daughter? Where is my baby?" She found her older child dead under the
rubble of her house.

When my colleague Nurjahan met her in 1976, she held her only
surviving child in her arms. She was hungry, heartbroken and
desperate. There was no question of any money-lender, much less a
commercial bank, giving her credit. But with small loans she started
making bamboo baskets and remained a borrower to the end of her days.
Now her daughter is a member of Grameen.

Today, we have more than 2 million such life stories, one for each of
our members.

Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Yunus and Alan Jolis is published by
the Aurum Press at (GBP)20. If you wish to order it at the special
price of (GBP)17 contact CultureShop (see page 33) The Guardian Weekly
Volume 159 Issue 19 for week ending November 8, 1998, Page 25