Ed,

No question that there are problems with implementation...its like the
constitution of the Former Soviet Union promising freedom of speech and
assembly and so on...on the other hand these are targets and aspirations,
something against which regimes can be held accountable and towards which
aid funds can be "invested" and which aid agencies can use their influence
to promote...

Mikeg

 On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Ed Weick wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have no problem with this in concept, but I see all kinds of problems of
> implementation.  Brazilians are "entitled" by legislation and perhaps
> constitutionally to free education (including university), free health
> services, income support and probably other things.  The problem is to try
> to access these things.  When I did my month in the slums of Sao Paulo last
> November, the attitude I encountered most frequently was one of "Yes, yes,
> we know those things are supposed to exist, but if they do, getting them is
> so difficult that it isn't worth the bother."
>
> For example, while education itself is free, there are many costs around
> sending a kid to school that poor parents simply cannot afford, so by about
> grade three or four the kid has dropped out.
>
> Could the UNDP go somewhat further than simply promoting "entitlement" and
> work with governments to ensure that the means for exercising entitlement
> are put in place?
>
> Ed Weick

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
ECBC/NSERC/SSHRC Associate Chair in the Management of Technological Change
Director:  Centre for Community and Enterprise Networking (C\CEN)
University College of Cape Breton, POBox 5300, Sydney, NS, CANADA B1P 6L2
Tel.  902-563-1369 (o)          902-562-1055 (h)        902-562-0119 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Http://ccen.uccb.ns.ca         ICQ: 7388855