If we return to pre-modernity, probably not by conscious planning :-), the
pets that could would revert to a wild state and eat by hunting/browsing.
Those that were unsuccessful in adaptation would be eaten by some other
life form, down to worms, insects and microbes. Humans would eat many of
course.

As to the US$17B in current situation, I agree that the statistic is nearly
meaningless except to point out that pet keeping is a voluntary
luxury/leisure activity that consumes resources. I suppose the judgement is
implied that pet keeping is immoral. Put those pets to "work" to provide
some "economic benefit" for the planet!

Steve Kurtz