Steve Kurtz wrote:

> If we return to pre-modernity, probably not by conscious planning :-), the
> pets that could would revert to a wild state and eat by hunting/browsing.
> Those that were unsuccessful in adaptation would be eaten by some other
> life form, down to worms, insects and microbes. Humans would eat many of
> course.
>
> As to the US$17B in current situation, I agree that the statistic is nearly
> meaningless except to point out that pet keeping is a voluntary
> luxury/leisure activity that consumes resources. I suppose the judgement is
> implied that pet keeping is immoral. Put those pets to "work" to provide
> some "economic benefit" for the planet!
[snip]

Here's a question for all the people who think that the solution
to world poverty is to get the relatively privileged sectors
to devote themselves *without reward* to helping the less
privileged: Why should they?

I will again repeat what a psychotherapist once told me:

   To be a good therapist,
   you need to be well paid and well laid.

Why? So that, having your own needs well satisfied, you can
*freely* devote yourself to helping others without having
to feel it's ripping you off (or, worse, your "loved ones" --
since oneself has no rights, only
others!).  If sacrifice
is so good, then we should *not*
do good for others, since that
deprives them of their so salubrious privations.

"What's in it for me?" is *always* a valid question.  For
those who have had a good life, as Melanie Klein wrote,
goodness received generates the desire to give goodness
in return.

Furthermore, careful study of the world's "great
sacrificers" often shows either that they do not
sacrifice (I've heard that Martin Luther King liked
silk shirts -- he should have worn stuff from Goodwill),
or, for whatever reasons, they "get off on it", like
Gandhi, who enjoyed voluntary poverty so much that
he forced his family against its will to "enjoy" it too.
"Voluntary poverty" is great if there are lots of
rich people who climb all over you for the
honor of catering to your needs and whims.

--

I like my pets (etc.).  If you take away from me
what gives my life meaning, don't expect me to

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[SGML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/