Hi

This issue reminds me of the difference between equitable and efficient
locations. An equitable location  (of say, a school) ensures that distances
travelled by pupils are as alike as possible (minimizes variation); an efficient
location, on the other hand, minimizes the total distance travelled by all
pupils, but at the cost of greater variation among the distances
travelled by
individual pupils.

If energy (oil?) is in short supply, can one afford to be "fair"?

Just wondering ... !

Bob

http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/