I am reposting the following report which shows that Corporations are
gaining control of our public services at an alarming rate for several
reasons.  These are:-
1)  It seems to tie in with the lead article in the local newspaper of
26/1/99 headed up:-  "STAFF CUTS ON CARDS FOR COUNCIL"  I would appreciate
feedback on my comments as well as on the report itself.

This article reports on tentative plans of the Palmerston North City
Council (New Zealand), which may be included in the upcoming  Draft Annual
Plan.  A radical review of the Council's long-term financial strategy is
necessary, or so it is claimed, because of escalating local body costs.

Main points of the article are - staff cutbacks, a leaner organisation,
user pays water charges and possible private sector involvement in the
provision of services.

2)  I am seeking feedback and comment from as many list members as possible
on a number of issues the newspaper article raises so as to assist in
formulating 'battle' strategy well in advance of the call for public
consultation and submissions on the proposals.

Issues raised in the article are:-
a)  COSTS.   According to the City Manager the existing financial strategy
is politically and publically unacceptable, because gross rates will rise
by 45% and debt is expected to nearly double within 10 years.  Under the
new strategy, "while rates and user charges would be paid separately, they
collectively would remain very similar to what the rate demand is today".

I find this an amazing statement.  On the face of it, and judging by the
"Cupe Privatization Report"attached, this seems a fallacious argument.  If
the 'leaner organisation' is achieved and ratepayers get very little for
their 'rate dollar' while most services including water, rubbish
collection, road maintenance, (you name it), is contracted out to private
providers, we are likely to end up paying far more than we do today, if
only for the simple reason that private providers are there to make a
profit, which must come from somewhere - the long-suffering ratepayers.

b)  EFFICIENCY.  Further efficiency gains can be achieved over the next
three years by introducing improvements to "internal processes", the
article claims.

c)  QUALITY AND SAFETY.  The article emphasises that levels of service will
not be reduced and neither would the Council reduce its commitment to its
current 10 year capital programme.

Again, I would take that statement with a 'grain of salt' as it seems that
privatizing public utilities does compromise levels of service as was shown
by the problems experienced by Auckland in the delivery of electricity
early in 1998 and the problem with water supply only a few weeks ago.

d)  STAFF CUTS.   Then there is the important issue of job losses.
According to the City Manager, staff losses are yet to be calculated as
they will depend on what efficiencies can be achieved internally.  This
fails to take into account the fact that the Council has been going through
endless restructuring and drives towards greater efficiency ever since the
New Right agenda began to be implemented in the early 1980's.  One has to
ask  -  Just how efficient can an organisation become and is there ever an
end to it?

One thing is certain, if Palmerston North follows the pattern of elsewhere,
greater use will be made of part-time and casual labbour as well as a
general contracting out of work that used to be performed by the Council.
Maybe this a part of what is meant by "efficiency gains" but I am not so sure.

I would appreciate as much comment and feedback on these issues as possible.

Cheers

Ross Swanston