----- Original Message -----
From: Edward Weick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>Democracy makes no sense.  If society is seeking a leader with the best
>>skills, the selection should be based on merit -- testing and
>xperience  --
>>not popularity.  Government by popularity contest is a stupid idea.
>
>Somehow I'm not at all surprised that this is your point of view.  But then
>how is merit to be determined?  Testing and experience, you say, but who
>will assess this?  Surely an intelligent and informed public should have

You said it yourself.  When we want a leader to fly a plane, we find one
who has passed tests and has air time.  When we want a leader to do
surgery, we find one who has graduated medical school.  Qualifications for
these leaderships have explicit tests and measures.

Since the human mind evolved predisposed for social manipulation, when we
chose leaders by popularity contest, we naturally get the best
"manipulators".  In other words, we get the most-corrupt, most-accomplished-
liars waving their arms in front of our faces each day on television.  Sound
familiar?

Since they really aren't that entertaining, why bother?

If they were any good at law, they would still be practicing.   What
possible skill is anyone selected by popularity contest likely to be
qualified for?  Used cars?  Life insurance?

Jay -- www.dieoff.com