----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Marks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Government by popularity contest is a stupid idea.
>
>So is the corresponding straw man form of any kind of government.
>Government by age?  Government by family name?  Government
>by bank account? Government by narrow technical expertise?

How about an explicit definition of the job and explicit qualifications?
We do that with every other job, why not politics?

If democracy means "rule by the common people", then America has never
been a democracy What's more, our founding fathers never INTENDED for
America to be a democracy:

"These passages all too neatly anticipate Madison’s conception of
citizenship: do not give "the people" any power when they are assembled;
allow some of the white males, acting in isolation, the fleeting
participation of voting for their representatives and restrict the right for
as long as politically possible to one branch of the legislature. Beyond
this minimalist approach to politics, ask little else of the people, except
under extraordinary conditions."

As it has turned out, modern evolutionary scientists have found that the
Founding Fathers were right: true democracy won’t work. Natural selection
and genetic development created a human tendency for dominance, submission,
hierarchy, and obedience, as opposed to equality and democracy. As one
political scientist recently put it:

"[ Evolutionary scientists ] Somit and Peterson provide an informative
account of the evolutionary basis for our historical (and current)
opposition to democracy. For many, this will be an unwelcome message – like
being told that one’s fly is unzipped. But after a brief bout of anger, we
tend to thank the messenger for sparing us further embarrassment."

Read all about it at: http://dieoff.com/page168.htm

Jay