> Once again, you have cut through the BS of my thinking.  On the one hand, I
> can find rational answers such as the Basic Income which I am sure will
> provide a corrective for the capitalistic system.  I can also agree with
> others answers, such as WesBurt's proposals or some of the thoughts of Tom
> Walker.
>
> Then I enlarge the problem by thinking/reading of population, energy,
> resource depletion, or the book I picked up at the library today called Dark
> Grey which deals with the demographics of an aging population and how
> economics has no answer in providing a system in which we can save enough or
> tax enough for a pension system for the elderly.  This morning, I read how a
> research team in California are onto what they call the immortality cell in
> which they have been able to extend the life of a fruit fly up to three
> times it's normal lifespan.  A couple of days ago, I read an online book
> called Can America Survive in which the author makes a very convincing case
> that the Earth could support a sustainable population of only 5 million
> hunter/gathers and 5 million living in an industrial/technological society.
> Though we might quibble with the numbers, it seems rational to believe that
> we can't keep 6 billion mouths and assholes functioning on this small planet
> indefintely.
>
> And yes, every state is debt and almost every person on the planet is in
> debt to someone, somewhere.  So what happens when a chain of non-payment
> begins?  It boggles my mind.  Unlike you, though, I do have some small
> comfort - death happens to us all and I chose to believe in an afterlife -
> in fact many afterlives.  I guess we'll have to each die before we find out
> who is right on that belief.

I have the comfort of knowing that I belong to this
peculiar species called homo sapiens, and we have the
ability to become aware of our problems -
besides having a bloody good time, in the
process, in lucky circumstances - and
ingenius enough to plan for the future - in which I
have vested - normal biological as well as emotional
interest - through my children.

This is plenty enough for me to go on with -
I need no comfort, I feel lucky and special without
god - the number of coincidences to continuously
produce this individual - special to me and a few
others,-  and the ability to reflect on this
amazing morsel of the universe of ours for a short while -
or even manipulate it collectively - is good enough for me,
thank you very much!

Eva