I like the posting but on second reading I am puzzled by the closing
paragraphs.

Does this mean that we have to accept the unravelling of the success of
economic development as though it is entirely outside our control?  Are
there  no policy options or actions that we can develop?

Much of my thinking and angst is to develop ways in which the broad
middle class can continue to be a broad middle class.  It seems to be an
admission of failure to turn to citizens in other, less developed,
countries for lessons in life skills.  For lessons in favela living.
This, it seems, is something we wish to avoid.  A middle class, replete
with careers, etc. has been a core element in creating and maintaining
social cohesion.  A lot of workers gave up a lot so that citizens in the
developed countries could have many aspects of universality.  Sure, with
globalization there will be continuing pressures to harmonize downward.
I would question these pressures and argue that gloabalization is really
about trying to get others to move upaward: in environmental laws,
health and workplace safety, potable water, univeral literacy, etc. etc.
etc.

There is a certain fatalism in Ed's posting, a certain feeling that
market forces have brought us here and the same forces will bring some
sort of resolution.

If we know that a problem is developing, one for which there may be a
menu of possible remedies, it is , I believe, incumbent on policy
analysts to develop and maintain such remedies ready for thoughtful
hearing and analysis when conditions are appropriate and when the
political voice has identified the appropriate time and mustered
sufficient courage.

arthur cordell