----------
>From: "Cordell, Arthur: DPP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Much of my thinking and angst is to develop ways in which the broad
> middle class can continue to be a broad middle class.

Thomas:

I would reference my answer here to todays posting on used clothing from
you.  The fact that the conditions of the article exist - result largely
from your broad middle class.  If the results of having that class are the
conditions of waste and surplus described, then I would question whether a
middle class is a good thing.  What could go in it's place?  Perhaps a much
more equilitarian class so that there was no poor at the bottom, no rich at
the top and the middle class became - at whatever level sustainable - the
class.

Arthur:

It seems to be an admission of failure to turn to citizens in other, less
developed, countries for lessons in life skills.

Thomas:

Previous to our colonization of much of the world, there were many societies
that existed for long periods of time using life skills that allowed them to
exist within their enviroment and find happiness, peace and personal growth.
That most of our society does not have those things, might indicate that our
society is the aberrant one - not theirs.

Arthur:

> This, it seems, is something we wish to avoid.  A middle class, replete
> with careers, etc. has been a core element in creating and maintaining
> social cohesion.

Thomas:

I would question this assumption.  I would not think our society could be
held up as one having social cohesion.  First, it has existed for a very
short period of time.  Second, within our society are a great many stresses
and strains which we do not seem to have solutions for.

Arthur:

A lot of workers gave up a lot so that citizens in the
> developed countries could have many aspects of universality.  Sure, with
> globalization there will be continuing pressures to harmonize downward.
> I would question these pressures and argue that gloabalization is really
> about trying to get others to move upaward: in environmental laws,
> health and workplace safety, potable water, univeral literacy, etc. etc.
> etc.

Thomas:

To just give one small example of the negative effects of globalization,
which I'm sure you are aware off.  We buy agricultural products from Third
World Countries at prices that make them use their land for export income at
the expense of food for their own population.  The high ideals you postulate
just do not happen at the level of the marketplace - in my opinion.

Arthur:

> There is a certain fatalism in Ed's posting, a certain feeling that
> market forces have brought us here and the same forces will bring some
> sort of resolution.
>
> If we know that a problem is developing, one for which there may be a
> menu of possible remedies, it is , I believe, incumbent on policy
> analysts to develop and maintain such remedies ready for thoughtful
> hearing and analysis when conditions are appropriate and when the
> political voice has identified the appropriate time and mustered
> sufficient courage.

Thomas:

While the learned gentleman, supping well and having an after dinner drink
of fine wine, discuss the world, some mother in a third world country is
watching her baby die from diarehha.  This could be prevented with a saline
solution, a sterile needle and a plastic bag.  The problems are immediate,
urgent, desperate and the answers are mostly available.  We don't have a
shortage of food, we have a rotten distribution system.  And on and on.  The
courage you speak of - in my mind - exists in those who suffer and
continually try, not in someone who is afraid to speak up because it may
affect his career.

A classic example of misdirection of resources has just happened this week
with JFK Jr.  Think of the resources that have been expended to find this
young man's body so it can be buried.  The airspace and TV time, the wages
to reporters and anchormen, the learned pundits brought forth to wax sadly
about the Kennedy family.  Then think of all those Americans with Gulf War
Syndrome, who cannot even get their own government to recognize their pain.

Excuse my rant Arthur, it is not directed at you, but I think we have to
stop being nice about injustice and incompetence.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde