On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Thomas Lunde wrote:
> With regret, I cannot find a posting, I'm sure I saved which stated that the
> real cost of a gallon of gasoline was $15, when all the subsidies, tax
> breaks and special regulatory exemptions were added into the price of crude
> oil.

The International Center for Technology Assessment has recently released a
study entitled "The Real Price of Gasoline."  It can be downloaded in PDF
format from
                http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/index.htm

Depending on how you crunch the numbers, the real cost of gasoline is
between US$5.60 and $15.14 per US gallon (3.785 liters).

> think back to 1973 and
> the anger and the gas lineups.  Only this time it won't be temporary.  In
> fact, a vehicle without fuel is a pretty clumsy boat anchor and we don't
> even have horses to make Bennet buggies anymore.

But we have bicycles -- aren't they vehicles too?
(And for the longer distances, we have trains..)
[Granted, for some N.Americans, this may sound like Marie Antoinette ;-))]

Welcome to the Bicycle Age!  :-D
Chris

Start bicycling -- burn fat, not oil.