Christoph Reuss wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Thomas Lunde wrote:
> > With regret, I cannot find a posting, I'm sure I saved which stated that the
> > real cost of a gallon of gasoline was $15, when all the subsidies, tax
> > breaks and special regulatory exemptions were added into the price of crude
> > oil.
>
> The International Center for Technology Assessment has recently released a
> study entitled "The Real Price of Gasoline."  It can be downloaded in PDF
> format from
>                 http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/index.htm
>
> Depending on how you crunch the numbers, the real cost of gasoline is
> between US$5.60 and $15.14 per US gallon (3.785 liters).
>
> > think back to 1973 and
> > the anger and the gas lineups.  Only this time it won't be temporary.  In
> > fact, a vehicle without fuel is a pretty clumsy boat anchor and we don't
> > even have horses to make Bennet buggies anymore.
[snip]

As far as I am concerned there has been no
computer revolution, and certainly no Internet revolution,
so long as almost everybody has to drive (or take Metro North)
a loong distance, wasting lots of energy and lots
of precious *life time*) COMMUTING.

    Question: Why can't we all work from home (except for
              EMT personnel, etc.)?

    Answer:   Because bosses like to see "asses and elbows".

Why not recall some words from Joseph Weizenbaum: The
computer, by enabling old bureaucratic forms to live
on after the quantity of data to be processed exceeded
the handling capacity of clerks, HAS BEEN ONE OF THE
MOST POWERFUL FORCES FOR SOCIAL REACTION IN THE TWENTIETH
CENTURY (_Computer Power and Human Reason..._, W.H. Freeman,
1976).

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/