Thomas:

Again, I find these comments having something to say that relates to
Arthur's Posting on used clothes.

----------
>From: tom abeles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Durability is an interesting idea, let me puzzle on it and get your
> thoughts
>
> First, non-durability or a short half-life seems to be a very recent
> invention along with the idea of the "modern". Probably starting in the
> late 30's along with the 1939 World's Fair as discussed so brilliantly
> by David Gelernter in his book, 1939, The Lost World of the Fair. We
> were to be blessed with technology to cure all our ills and bring
> utopia. Only utopia never came. But like the carrot tied to the milk
> horse, there was always the promise that the next version would be the
> final solution...and the next... and the next where most "nexts" were
> more cosmetic than actual changes... and still utopia eludes is

Thomas:

It seems from the above paragraph, we are in some science fiction timeline
in which the reason why we keep doing what we are doing has been forgotten
and no one has the time to think about it, we just have to keep replicating
the formula - next, and next, and next .... till we collapse.  Sort of like
mice on a treadmill in a laboratory experiment.

Tom

> Non durability is the Myth of the eternal hope that humans with
> technology can find the optimum solution

Thomas:

The optimum solution - the final solution - the mind wanders in this maze of
what if...

Tom:

> Durability is a smooke screen and a misdirection from the larger issue
> and the hard questions

Thomas:

I can see the insight in your statement.  The solution of durability
requires more definition - such as value of items - need, equity and future
responsibility.  And though Barry has mentioned these, they perhaps need to
be emphasized even more.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde