Brian McAndrews wrote:

>  The following book review presents another view (and saves me a helluva
> lot of typing!).
>
> Brian McAndrews
>
> Computer Power and Human Reason
> by Joseph Weizenbaum
>
> San Francisco, CA: W. H. Freeman
> 1976
[snip]

In my opinion, _Computer Power and Human Reason_ remains a
challenge to our technistic way of thinking.  It is as
relevant today as when it was written.  The review
snipped here doesn't really do the book justice.

As far as WTO is concerned, Weisenbaum wrote in the
book that:

   By coming along in the nick of time to process
   data the way clerks were used to processing
   it, but when the *quantity* of data exceeded
   clerical capacity, the computer enabled the
   existing bureaucratic structures of society
   to survive when otherwise they would have
   either collapsed or been transformed. --If by
   "revolution" one understands a change in the
   social relations between persons -- the
   computer has been
   ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL FORCES FOR SOCIAL
   REACTION IN THE 20TH CENTURY.

His chapter on "incomprehensible programs" and their
social impact is highly admonitory.

His ending shows the difference between
judgment and calculation:

   I hope that, as the discipline of computer
   science will mature also, so that, whatever
   computer scientists do, THEY WILL THINK ABOUT
   IT, SO THAT THOSE WHO COME AFTER US SHALL NOT
   WISH WE HAD NOT DONE IT.

This is an excellent, and highly readable
book, both for lay persons and for techies.

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/