Ray,

 I've been lurking on future-work for years, and love and often agree with
your thought provoking and passionate posts.  In regards to this one,
though, I would like to point our that there is no such thing as a "typical
16 year old adolescent", any more than there is such thing as a typical
southerner, African-American, or Mainer.  Prejudice against young people,
and its expression, seems to be acceptable even among "sophisticated"
persons but should be no more so than prejudice against any group of people.
A good consciousness raising book on the topic of adolescent prejudice, and
its destructive results,  is Scapegoat Generation- America's War on
Adolescents, by Mike Males, 1996, Common Courage Press.

Tom Karnofsky

  Sounds like your