I suggest that this topic is a wee bit more complex than Bill Ward
implies. There's extensive research, but a good short essay is
available:
http://dieoff.org/page56.htm

and FYI there is a "South-South Initiative" which involves LDCs helping
each other in pop. stabil. at their own request.
                  "The 1994 conference addressed the changing paradigms
of population issues and
                   the inverse relationship of a nation's state of
development to the size of its
                   population. The more people living in a country, the
harder it is to provide proper
                   services and health care to all."

Since the web page has expired, I'm att. text:

SOUTH-SOUTH INITIATIVE
                                                Population group of 14
                                                nations say they are
                                                ready to act on
                                                commitments
                                                  By ERIN TROWBRIDGE
                                                (c) Earth Times News
Service

                      CAIRO--After nearly five years and millions of
dollars spent getting the ball
                       rolling, the Partners in Population and
Development, an intragovernmental
                  coalition of developing nations, said they are ready
to turn words and plans into
                  actions. Going back to where they began, the Partners
held their Fourth annual
                  board meeting last recently in Cairo, the city that in
1994 hosted the United
                  Nations International Conference on Population and
Development.

                  The 1994 conference addressed the changing paradigms
of population issues and
                  the inverse relationship of a nation's state of
development to the size of its
                  population. The more people living in a country, the
harder it is to provide proper
                  services and health care to all. The Partners were
founded by ten countries,
                  Zimbabwe, Kenya, Mexico, Colombia, Thailand,
Indonesia, Bangladesh,
                  Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia, that had gained expertise
in the fields of
                  reproductive health and development. The idea was to
create a forum for the
                  leaders of these countries to share experiences and
exchange technical
                  information which would help other countries learn
from their successful
                  programs.

                  Now a coalition of fourteen nations with the recent
admissions of China, India,
                  Pakistan and Uganda, representatives who gathered for
the meeting in Egypt said
                  the plan for this year was to set down concrete plans
of action and programs of
                  exchange. Cairo again became a hot-seat as political
leaders, nongovernmental
                  organization representatives and private sector donors
gathered to discuss just
                  how well those ideas borne of the first conference in
this city were taking seed.

                  Since the very idea behind the Partners' inception lay
in the United Nations
                  International Conference on Population and Development
(ICPD) held in 1994,
                  they are, indeed, quite linked to the city whose name
will, in the minds of many,
                  be synonymous with population and development issues.
The meeting, more than
                  anything else, demonstrated that the Partner nations
are aware that after four
                  years, the groundwork has been laid and now it is time
to get down to work.

                  "The baby is out of the incubator," said Steven
Sinding, director of the population
                  and science division of the Rockefeller Foundation
which provides $1.3 million of
                  funding to cover the core activities of the Partners'
Secretariat. "From here on in,
                  their viability is assured. The Partners have crossed
the threshold from a
                  personality dependant institution to one that can
survive changes in the political
                  environment. And, still, one of the very pillars of
their foundation is that the
                  Partnership, by definition, must be a gradually
evolving thing. Today, there are no
                  big, undone pieces and they are gradually moving from
short term training and
                  study tours to more substantial, forward looking
cooperative projects."

                  The goal of the Partners, as laid out in the mission
statement, is to foster
                  cooperation and exchange of technical information
between developing countries,
                  an idea that's import was made explicit at the ICPD in
Cairo. Called South-South
                  cooperation, the theory is that developing nations
have had decades of
                  experience in population and development issues and
the formulation of
                  reproductive health service policies. These countries
should be able to have
                  dialogues and exchanges between one another rather
than following to a T the
                  development strategies sent out from the industrial
nations. The Partners'
                  Secretariat, based out of Dhaka, Bangladesh, is a
conduit to these exchanges.
                  Their aim is not to give advice, but to have technical
directors with intimate
                  knowledge of each countries successes and failures who
can create linkages
                  between countries lacking in one area with countries
who have had success there.

                  "My dream was that countries that have grand scale
programs will be able to
                  assist other developing countries from A to Z," said
Sinding. "Tunisia helping
                  Niger develop health service facility designs and also
assist them in finding
                  funders. That hasn't happened yet, but I think many
donors would like to fund
                  such collaborations. This would be a great and
comprehensive way to funnel
                  money into development."

                  As the United Nations prepares for the five year
assessment of the goals laid out
                  at the ICPD, similar concerns are entering into the
dialogue surrounding the
                  review. The fourteen nations represented at the
meeting each spent time
                  discussing their greatest successes and illuminating
aspects of their programs that
                  they would like to see better developed or even
implemented in other countries
                  with similar social dimensions. Indonesian
representatives said they would like to
                  replicate the all inclusive clinics they saw run by
Profamilia in Colombia, Chinese
                  officials said they'd like to work with Thai officials
to develop AIDS awareness
                  programs and many nations voiced a desire to work with
Bangladesh's
                  micro-credit loan programs.

                  "The Partners now need to establish more concrete
technical exchanges within the
                  South South framework," said Mohammed Nizamuddin, of
United Nations
                  Population Fund. "The Partners are progressing very
well and moving in the right
                  direction. Now, with the increased involvement of
NGO's, it is a good beginning
                  into the next phase, a more active phase. The member
countries need to generate
                  tangible South-South initiatives in training, research
and exchanges. The work
                  being done so far with population and reproductive
health programs can pave the
                  way for similar partnerships of exchange within
different sectors. I could see this
                  technical exchange being very important to people
working in the agriculture
                  sector or people within the governments trying to
raise money to fund the
                  projects. Some countries are very good in one area and
lacking in another. The
                  more dynamic the discussions become, the more voices
included, the more work
                  we will be able to see carried out."

                  As participants jostled in and out of the plushly
decorated conference and
                  meeting rooms in the former palace that served as the
locale for the meeting,
                  similar sentiments were expressed. The groundwork has
been laid, the Secretariat
                  is up and running, and now it is time to start
creating the solid partnerships and
                  paths of exchange that are the modus operandi of the
organization.

                  "It's our role to bring together all the agents of
change within the different nations
                  and define who needs to be reached, who has been left
outside," said Balla Silla,
                  Executive Director of the Partners. "Now that NGO's
are entering the
                  intragovernmental dialogues in an enriched way, I
don't see problems with the
                  implementation of work carried out within the two
sectors. I think that in 1999,
                  we're going to see a tremendous amount of exchange and
work coming from the
                  Partner countries."

William B Ward wrote:

> The following comments are simply the words of the entitled.  People have
> kids since they are the best life insurance policy there is for many
> people in the world.
(snip)