F E A T U R E
from The Jobs Letter No.118
a subscriber-based letter
published in New Zealand 18 February 2000

T A X   W A S T E,   N O T   W O R K

*       Tax Waste, Not Work proposes a new approach to
fiscal and environmental policy in a way that could attract
broad political support. Redefining Progress, a US policy
research group, gives a comprehensive guide to how we
can shift the tax burden away from productive activities
that should be encouraged, such as work and savings,
and onto activities that should be discouraged, such as
pollution, waste, and energy inefficiency.

Tax Waste, Not Work argues neither for higher taxes
overall, nor a change in the distribution of the tax burden
up or down the income scale. It is a proposal that would
replace a portion of national taxation, perhaps 5 to 10
percent, with new environmental levies. The tax shift would
also provide a significant economic stimulus package with
no revenue cost.-- Vivian Hutchinson

Tax Waste, Not Work
-- How changing what we tax can lead to a stronger economy and a
cleaner environment
by M.Jeff Hamond and others
foreword by Paul Krugman
(pub April 1997 by Redefining Progress)
order from website www.rprogress.org

A summary of this monograph is available as a document (in pdf
format) from http://www.rprogress.org/pubs/pdf/TaxWaste_sum.pdf

"A tax shift will foster economic growth and help low-
income areas by reducing taxes on work, and also by
spawning new enterprises based on recycling and
reuse..." -- Tax Waste, Not Work

TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE
by Paul Krugman, economics professor at MIT

*       Most sensible people are, with considerable
justification, suspicious of policy advocates who promise
too much. They know that, as a general rule, an offer that
sounds too good to be true almost always is. If the
proposal involves economics, they remember that they
are not supposed to believe in free lunches.

Redefining Progress argues that a shift in the way we
raise revenue - - involving a partial replacement of taxes
on earned income with taxes on pollution and waste -- can
not only protect the environment but make us richer, too.
They suggest that there is a free lunch that can kill two
birds with a single stone -- a prospect that may seem as
unlikely as the metaphor is mixed. Tough-minded readers
may be inclined to dismiss this as mere wishful thinking.

They would, however, be wrong. The proposal's general
outline -- replacing our current command-and-control
system of environmental protection with one based on the
price mechanism, and using the revenue from that system
as a partial replacement for other sources of revenue -- is
not at all a silly or unrealistic scheme. On the contrary, it is
sensible and important -- and may well be an idea whose
time has finally come.

*       To appreciate the reasonableness of what Redefining
Progress has to say, it is important to understand that it is
based on several well-founded propositions. First,
measures to protect the environment -- indeed, broader
measures than we have instituted so far -- are essential.
Second, taxes (or other price mechanisms, such as the
sale of pollution licenses) are in many cases the most
effective way to implement such protection. Finally, since
existing taxes already distort incentives to work, save, and
invest, any revenue generated by pollution taxes that
allows other taxes to be lower creates an extra "dividend"
to the economy.

*       The proposition that it is important to protect the
environment still has a few well-funded doubters.
However, at this point the economic and human costs of
pollution and other burdens on the environment, from the
health effects of car exhausts to the collapse of
overexploited fisheries, are by now too obvious for any
but the most determined ideologue to ignore.

And it is also obvious that our current system does not
provide individuals to act in an environmentally
responsible manner. For example, I as an individual bear
hardly any of the indirect costs that I impose on other
people by driving my car or eating a fish dinner. Some
form of public action to protect the environment against
the consequences of the individual pursuit of self-interest
is crucial.

Moreover, it has become clear in the last few years that
the scope of such costs is wider than previously
imagined. When environmentalism first became a
powerful political force in the 1960s, most of the
perceived problems were more or less local: They
involved the quality of air in a given city, or the quality of
water in a single river.

As world population, production, and consumption grew
and continue to grow, however, we see increasing
evidence of human impacts on the global -- as opposed
to the local -- environment. With the emergence of a
scientific consensus on such issues as the adverse effect
of manmade chemicals on the ozone layer or that of
carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases on global
temperatures, we have reached a point at which decisions
that made sense from an individual perspective may
impose large costs not only on their neighbours but on
humanity as a whole.

*       It is probably safe to say that even a few years ago a
monograph proposing such a policy change would simply
have been ignored. Environmentalists were still too hostile
to markets; many liberals were still attracted to
bureaucratic schemes of economic management; many
conservatives were ideologically committed to the view
that environmental problems were nonexistent.

But here, we have a proposal that cuts across the normal
ideological lines: it is pro-environment, but market-
oriented; it takes supply side concerns about the effects
of taxes on incentives seriously, but proposes to meet
them without counting on wishful thinking about economic
growth. This kind of new thinking deserves attention ...
perhaps now is the moment when it will get it. (-- from the
foreword to Tax Waste, Not Work)

C R E D I T S
-------------------

This special issue has been produced
in partnership with
The Zero Waste NZ Trust

Editor -- Vivian Hutchinson
Associates - Rodger Smith, Dave Owens and Jo Howard
Secretary - Shirley Vickery

ISSN No. 1172-6695

T H E   J O B S   L E T T E R
an essential information and media watch  on jobs,
employment,  unemployment, the future of work,  and
related economic and education issues.

Kia taea ai te tangata te whiwhi mahi  ahakoa ki whea,
ahakoa ko wai.
Our objective is that every New Zealander will have the
opportunity to be in paid work.

The Jobs Research Trust -- a not-for-profit Charitable
Trust  constituted in 1994 to develop and  distribute
information that  will help our communities create more
jobs and reduce unemployment  and poverty in New
Zealand.

ends
------

vivian Hutchinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone 06-753-4434 fax 06-759-4648
P.O.Box 428
New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand

visit The Jobs Research Website
Premier Award Winner of the 1999 Media Peace Awards
http://www.jobsletter.org.nz/