To: Citizen's Income Online at URL
http://citiinco01.uuhost.uk.uu.net/discussion/index.shtml
and friends on several mail lists

Hi folks,

This is the last day of debate on the February question: "Is there an
argument for a piecemeal introduction of a Citizen's Income?"  I would like
to leave two thoughts with you, before the debate moves on to other aspects
of a CI.

First, I want to offer my apology for cluttering up the C/I web page with
five irrelevant messages in the course of learning how to post the intended,
and I hope useful, three valid messages below:

The Universal Citizen's Income.....02/24/2000
Half a loaf is better than none.......02/22/2000
Which Way To A CI/BI?..............01/23/2000

I sincerely hope the clutter did not deter any of the WHIPs at Chatham House
and Pratt House from visiting the ten figured Global Model at URL
http://www.freespeech.org/darves/bert.html and confirming to their own
satisfaction what Henry Carter Adams knew in 1887 when he wrote in Vol. I of
the American Economic Review:

"Where the law of increasing returns works with any degree of intensity, the
principle of free competition is powerless to exercise a healthy regulating
influence."

Adams, of course, was speaking about the third class of businesses and
corporations which are characterized by increasing returns to scale.
Thirteen years after Adams wrote a majority of American parenting families
were experiencing increasing returns to scale, 4-10% unemployment, and a 2-3%
per year decline in value of their medium of exchange.  This condition
continues, presently, and into the future.

Second, I want to assert again the usefulness of a graphical frame of
reference, such as the ten figure global model at URL
http://www.freespeech.org/darves/bert.html, for evaluating public policy
questions.  One picture can convey a message which dozens of DDotSQs cannot
refute.

William Blake, two centuries ago, elucidated so eloquently the vision that is
possible to people who rely on a technically valid micro model, such as
Figure 7-9 in the above global model, when evaluating any human enterprise.
The vision, according to Blake, was:

"To see a World in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."

As our attention shifts, during our search for the key to a sustainable
society, from family farms up to national economies, which are likely to be
the components of the global economy for the foreseeable future, it helps to
be reminded that every human enterprise has forever involved the same four
basic elements; a patch of earth, its capital plant, its people, and a medium
of exchange, if the enterprise or society has developed a significant
division of labor.  The only "new thing" we can learn about these four basic
elements of society are those few things that have been kept as secrets of
the temple since ancient times, to the advantage of the few, and at the
expense of the many.

The simple solution which Douglas MacArthur allowed in Japan and John J.
McCloy allowed in Germany to facilitate the recovery of those nations from
the destruction of World War II may recommend itself to the WHIPs as a means
of closing the gap between today's first and third world nations. This simple
solution would allow all nations to converge at their own pace toward a
sustainable global social order.  The freely emerging world order, whatever
it might turn out to be, would be much less affluent than Switzerland is
today but much more affluent than the former colonies of Spain are today,
after a century of struggle under the English/American public policy they
learned from the USA a century ago.

Think about it, and then talk about it.  Its your future, not mine!

Kind regards,

Wesburt