----- Original Message -----
From: kathy
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 4:30 PM
Subject: WARNING EMAIL VIRUS

Hello,

I just got hit with an email virus, which may have been sent to you as it infected my computer.  I wanted to warn you immediately about this.   The name of the virus is prettypark and it was not caught by my norton antivirus program.   I greatly apologize for this, I am so sorry!   I believe most people caught this in their protection programs, but in the event you got it and opened it here's how you get rid of it:

Once the worm program is executed, it will try to email itself automatically every 30 minutes (or 30 minutes after it is loaded) to email addresses registered in your Internet address book.

spacer PrettyPark.Worm
Virus Name: PrettyPark.Worm
Aliases: Trojan Horse, W32.PrettyPark, Trojan.PSW.CHV, CHV
Infection Length: 37,376
Area of Infection: C:\Windows\System, Registry, Email Attachments
Likelihood: Common
Detected as of: June 1, 1999
Characteristics: Worm, PrettyPark.EXE, Files32.VXD

This is a worm program that behaves similar to Happy99 Worm. This worm program was originally spread by email spamming from a French email address.

The attached program file is named "PrettyPark.EXE". The original report of this worm was submitted through our exclusive Scan&Deliver system on May 28, 1999 from France.

When the attached program called "PrettyPark.EXE" is executed, it may display the 3D pipe screen saver. It will also create a file called FILES32.VXD in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory and modify the following registry entry value from "%1" %* to FILES32.VXD "%1" %* without your knowledge:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command

Once the worm program is executed, it will try to email itself automatically every 30 minutes (or 30 minutes after it is loaded) to email addresses registered in your Internet address book.

It will also try to connect to an IRC server and join a specific IRC channel. The worm will send information to IRC every 30 seconds to keep itself connected, and to retrieve any commands from the IRC channel.

Via IRC, the author or distributor of the worm can obtain system information including the computer name, product name, product identifier, product key, registered owner, registered organization, system root path, version, version number, ICQ identification numbers, ICQ nicknames, victims email address, and Dial Up Networking username and passwords. In addition, being connected to IRC opens a security hole in which the client can potentially be used to receive and execute files.

Norton AntiVirus users can protect themselves from PrettyPark.Worm by downloading the current virus definitions either through LiveUpdate or from the following web page:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

Norton AntiVirus will detect PrettyPark.Worm as "Trojan Horse" with June 1, 1999 virus definitions. With the June 9, 1999 definitions or later, the worm will be detected as "PrettyPark.Worm."

Repair Information

Removing this worm manually:

  1. Using REGEDIT, modify the Registry entry

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\exefile\
    shell\open\command

    from

    FILES32.VXD "%1" %* to just say "%1" %*

    (You may launch REGEDIT through Windows Start-menu-RUN. Then search for "FILES32.VXD" in REGEDIT.)

  2. Delete WINDOWS\SYSTEM\FILES32.VXD
  3. Delete the "Pretty Park.EXE" file.
  4. Reboot your computer.

You need to do step #1 above; otherwise, executable files may not run properly if you simply delete FILES32.VXD

With Love, Respect and Admiration
Bernie Slepkov - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gaian Doers List Manager - To join us Gaian Doers: Interconnecting Future Successes
send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view Files: http://www.egroups.com/group/gaian-doers/

Founder: DreamTEAMS International http://mergetel.com/dreamteams
HEALING FRAGMENTED COMMUNITIES http://mergetel.com/dreamteams/healing.html

Further insights may be gained by reading Bill Ellis's "A Gaian Respective
on Global Governance" at
http://mergetel.com/dreamteams/Archives/gaian-perspective.html