A very long time ago I was told that we should leave the world in better shape
than we found it.  There's little hope of that.  There are walls to run into
everywhere we look and the truth is that we don't look very much -- too
depressing and we want to get on with our day to day lives, a thing that is
hard enough to do.

At last Monday's meeting, I mentioned that I was reading Bonner's and Wiggin's
"Empire of Debt".  It's one of the most depressing books I've ever read.
Because of its huge private and public debt, America could implode, or could be
made to implode because much of the debt is held abroad by countries that may
not remain in sync with US interests.  The globalized world is one in which
labour and other cost differences have created huge advantages for emerging
economies like China and India.  As the authors put it, they increasingly make
and we increasingly buy.  We want bargains and they can give them too us.  It
won't always be like this.  At some (distant?) future point, their costs will
increase and ours will fall, and our grandchildren may be making cheap stuff
for them.

Consumer and mortgage debt are another problem.  You want to buy something, you
do it on credit.  You want a house, you get yourself a no down payment
mortgage.  And given today's housing bubble, you can make some money by
flipping the house, or at least you can right now.

Implications for Canada?  Well, our economy is tied to the American economy.
They go down, we go down with them.  I'd rather not, thank you, but it's hard
to see a positive alternative.  Oh gloomy day!!

Ed