Hello Lawry,

Strangely, you wrote just as I was struggling to get into the futurework
archive, having inadvertently deleted a recent posting by John Verdon.

His posting, about the need for insurance arrangements in a world of the
self-employed, plus an earlier posting (see reference below) which John had
sent to a group of us here in Ottawa who meet to discuss work, plus Ed
Weick's recent "Your gloom for today," are cogent and interesting.

It seems to me that there is much to be said and done about work today, and
I would be sorry to see the disappearance of the futurework list. As one
component in the many ongoing discussions on the topic of work, it has its
value. For those of us who are "working on work" as an important key to our
future -- where survival meets self-image meets climate change (whatever
became of homo ludens?) -- its continuing existence is welcome.

I do agree that the list is being used for other than Sally's intended
purposes. For my part I do not treat postings to it as a conversation in
which I should be respectful of all comments by all participants. I treat it
more like a newspaper, ignoring many postings and/or columnists, while
sampling others and valuing some -- a resource for learning.

I am one who regrets that it proved possible to learn together but not also
to work together. I always hoped that Charles Brass's contributions, for
example, might compound with others, in a glorious brainstorming, to a
global breakthrough -- the conceptual repositioning of work in our lives
into a less dangerous position than it currently occupies, where its nexus
with income is driving us to self-destruction collectively and often
personally. We don't seem to be able to develop any better way of
distributing the means to survival than through processing the planet's
resources, having organized ourselves more as a factory than as family,
spurred by a vastly exaggerated notion of scarcity and praising our
remunerated activity as "work." It seems all such a pity.

Meanwhile, Lawry, thank you for your invitation and your posting. We'd be
delighted to have you in our "work" working group here -- it's too bad the
commute would be so long!.The conversation ranges widely -- work, it seems,
is everywhere. John, who has been thinking deeply about these matters, has
drawn me at least to some fresh thinking about "communities of practice" and
the internet. I'm also intrigued by the pivotal potential of the newly
retired and the "guaranteed incomes" that at least some of them enjoy -- a
nexus in which work is now being (and could now usefully be) redefined.

I sense though that there is a tension between a use of this list to discuss
work in all its ramifying challenges to our future and the desire to have
the list carry an intelligent and civil conversation among a community in
the form of an extended network. Such a list (or maybe a wiki site) could be
a pleasure. Might you think of starting one, Lawry, for that purpose, a
conversation which you might monitor and nurture? It doesn't seem to me that
futurework is that conversation or capable of becoming so, although some of
the contributions to it, on various topics over the years since it began,
and some of the exchanges, have been rich and even profound. Sally surely
wot not what she would wrought!

Regards,

Gail

Forces Shaping the Future

U.S. Workforce and

Workplace

Implications for 21st Century Work

LYNN A. KAROLY

CT-273

February 2007

Testimony presented before the House Education and Labor Committee on

February 7, 2007

(Part of the RAND Corporatioin testimony series)

This PDF document was made available from www.rand.org as a public

service of the RAND Corporation.