Cordell, Arthur: ECOM wrote:

Harry,
Please stick around. And please keep posting. The list needs you and perhaps you also need the list. arthur

Arthur,

Of all the responses you and others have posted about this list, this one is by far the best.

Though Mike's posting was honest in one respect in that Harry is expert at pushing buttons, exclusion of anyone, including individuals who present opposing or questionable views, is suicidal of this list. We like to think ourselves capable of proposing future solutions without recognition that solutions must be good for the whole as well as the individual to be sound. Many on this list are involved in serious negotiations which would soon flounder without vital inclusion. Tempers have been expressed by almost everyone regularly contributing to this list, even calmest of the bunch, instigator Harry. Yet, one should be asking, what avenues of learning have opposing views afforded us, and the instigators in turn by our responses? Intolerance of others different from ourselves is the reason for enmity. The reason we are justified to go to war and take others' resources for ourselves. And with enmity we sever a part of ourselves, as though any part of humanity is expendable.

If we can't learn to be tolerant within this academic circle, what hope is there for larger numbers?

If you have felt disappointment over the conversations, change them. Take responsibility. I think one of the problems lie within members' self determined restrictions of what topics are suitable. Neither Arthur nor Sally have ever wished that FutureWork be solely a forum for economics gurus. Work arises out of needs and wants alike, and balancing these against a sustainable future presents a challenging forum indeed. This list, despite what it may appear at this moment of a "family quarrel", has evolved, as it should well do to survive. Future work is not just about the latest news in the work world. It must grow, look at the bigger picture, present and future, evolve into something no one could have predicted. We've lost some wonderful list members for the short while, and gained some too. This list would never have attracted me without R.E.H.'s wisdom to look at what society's real issues are, nor without Brad's brilliantly different observations, nor Keith's talent and enthusiasm for, not so much economics, as for life itself. As with any family, we have to grieve over losses, then accept them. Some folks most wonderfully resurrect themselves with good timing, but others have to move on, for health or time factors. That's life. And so is evolution.

In gratitude for each and every one of you,
Natalia