Actually, I just joined recently and was a bit surprised by the content but
joined in anyway. Figuring out what happened on 9/11 is already being seriously
examined on a number of blog sites and perhaps it's better fought there. I read
Empire Burlesque, Winter Patriot and others and get more links to 9/11 and
other similar matters than I can read.  If you read one of those, you can tell
where my bet is. As I mentioned in another post, I do see 9/11 affecting the
future of work psychologically at least and therefore a legitimate topic in
that respect. I will be happy to respect the scope of this forum. Stuart> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:07:39 -0400>
Subject: [Futurework] This list> > Greetings everyone,> > Since Mike posted
this message a couple of weeks ago I have been thinking> quite a bit about this
list and the state that it is in.> > Mike mentions one problem, and I think we
have several besides this one.> > I've been a member for several years, and I
have never seen the list as dead> as it is now. There is very little that
passes for conversation, and very> little genuine exploration or learning going
on.> > We have always had a problem straying from the nominal subject of the
list,> the future of work. But we have always had vibrant discussions, until
these> last many months.> > Karen is carrying on valiantly with her Casey
Reports, but receives no> feedback and little thanks.> > Harry and Chris
doggedly pursue their pseudo-discussions with argumentative,> unwavering, and
repetitive self-righteousness.> > We have obviously lost many valued members in
the last couple of years, and> it is with sadness that I think of their
brilliance, energy, bonhomie,> curiosity and knowledge.  Some of these have
explicitly or privately> referred to Chris and Harry as the cause of their
departure.> > The moderators of this list, the list-owners, seem by their
silence to> accept the deterioration of the list.> > Who else misses the
qualities that we created here some time ago? > > And if I and Mike are not
alone in missing them, what should we do to bring> this list back up.> > The
moderators may well tell me that I am overstepping my place with this> email,
in which case I will happily follow my friends over the horizon and>
disappear.> > If this happens, those of you who know that I enjoy and learn
from your> postings, and who may from time to time enjoy mine, please make note
of my> email address in the header to this message, and please know that you
will> ALWAYS be in my heart and your contacts will always be deeply welcomed
by> me.> > To those who are only lurking here, if you too wish for a day in
which> vibrant conversations might again prevail, I would love to hear from you
as> well.> > And, finally, a desperate request: if any of you are engaged in
constructive> and convivial discussions in other fora and might welcome my
participation,> please email me....> > Cheers,> Lawry> > > > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mike Spencer> Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 3:13 AM> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Futurework] [META] Re: Bill Gates,Rockefellers & Africa's> biopiracy>
> > Hello all --> > I dropped off the FutureWork list a couple of years ago,
not only> because Harry was trolling [1] the list, trying to provoke>
opportunities for his condescending barbs and his> free-market-cures-all
polemics but as well because all the other> bright folks on the list were
politely responding to him as if his> posts were mature and sensible
contributions and his jibes and> provocations were unintentional oversights.> >
I quite missed the dialog so now I've subscribed again and, oh dear,> oh dear,
what do I find?  That Harry is still trolling for arguments,> intentionally
provoking them and pointlessly prolonging them.  It's a> bit reassuring that
others are no longer tolerating his provocations> with good grace in the
interest of decorum.  On the other hand,> allowing the list discourse to
degenerate into the kind of shouting> match that makes Harry feel righteous and
important is not a big win,> either.> > I would hesitate to suggest that the
list owner(s) bar Harry from the> list but perhaps it would be constructive to
simply ignore all of his> posts that are devoid of redeeming value or which
serve chiefly as a> launching platform for his belligerent rhetoric.  Harry's
skill is> an ability to be so irritating that one feels compelled to respond.>
Suppressing that compulsion might improve the FW conversation.> > > - Mike> > >
                                -------------------------->
   /|  /|  |                          |>                        ||__||  |
 Please            |>                       /   O O\__      do not feed
|>                      /          \      the troll.         |>
    /      \     \                        |>                    /   _    \
\ ---------------------->                   /    |\____\     \     ||>
        /     | | | |\____/     ||>                 /       \|_|_|/   |
__||>                /  /  \            |____| ||>               /   |   | /|
     |      --|>               |   |   |//         |____  --|>        * _    |
|_|_|_|          |     \-/>     *-- _--\ _ \     //           |>       /  _
\\ _ //   |        />     *  /   \_ /- | -     |       |>       *      ___
c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________> > > > > [1] On the off chance that you haven't
encountered the term "troll">     in a net context, here's a snippet from
Wikipedia :> >         In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who
intentionally>         posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages
about>         sensitive topics in an established online community such as an>
       online discussion forum to bait users into responding.  They>
may also plant images and data...in order to cause>         confrontation.>
    [...]>         The contemporary use of the term first appeared on Usenet>
      groups in the late 1980s. It is widely thought to be a>
truncation of the phrase "trolling for suckers", itself derived>         from
the sport fishing technique of trolling.> > > -- > Michael Spencer
    Nova Scotia, Canada       .~. >
               /V\ > [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     /(
)\> http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/                        ^^-^^>