Harry,

I politely suggest that you explain if your personal definitions of the words used in your posts are the 'correct' ones (truths/facts) or if they are the ones preferred by the majority of English speaking humans (the consensus); or are they derived from some other source of meaning? If dictionary definitions are used, guess what? Other words are used to explain the word in question, and the cycle is neverending.

Your exclamations of certainty and truth can only influence the truly naive. But yes, I do sometimes agree with you. Then MY definitions are what I'm agreeing with.

Steve

Maybe I should have called them a "knowledge of facts" and a "knowledge of
tendencies". Certainly something other than "truths" which implies a
certainty that frightens the life out of those who prefer their thinking to
be woolly. Wooly thinking leads to lots of discussion that appears to be
profound, but is usually no more than an exercise  in personal entertainment.

Steve said "Assertions of universal truths, though, we could do without".

Not perhaps if they happen to be true.