Hi Harry,

I'm just about to push off on a short holiday break and have just had
sufficient time to read Ray's and your postings this morning.

I just want to make a brief point that has been prompted in my mind since
writing to Ray yesterday regarding Megaliths.

Your two self-evident truths are:

1. People's desires are unlimited
2. People seek to satisfy their desires with the least exertion

What about adding a third?

3. People have a curiosity beyond present needs for survival

It could be said that many animals also have a sense of curiosity in that
they explore their environment rather widely in order to assess any future
dangers. But then your two axioms could also reasonably be applied to
animals and are therefore not exclusive to man.

It could also be said that my third axiom is but a sub-set of your first.
But some have a curiosity and need for explanation beyond any present
desires that they can conceptualise.

It could also be said that my third axiom lies beyond the field of
Political Economy. But a sense of curiosity (and explanatory leaps of
imagination therefrom) are also the cause of innovation. Many innovations
are the result of your second axiom, but then many innovations come out of
the blue. (A good example of this is Clarke's notion of geostationary
satellites for which there was no possible use at the time he proposed it.
If he had patented that idea then he would probably be by far the richest
man in the world right now. [And this is why I am opposed to intellectual
copyright and patent law -- it devalues the really big ideas of mankind.] )

Must go.

Keith

“Writers used to write because they had something to say; now they write in
order to discover if they have something to say.” John D. Barrow
Keith Hudson, Bath, England;  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]