Hi Harry,

(HP)
<<<<
I began school at 4 1/2 and immediately began learning to read. By the time
I reached 6, I was voraciously reading "tuppeny bloods". These were "blood
and thunders" you could buy for two pennies. They were full of space
stories, war stories, school stories, sports stories and bore names like
"Wizard", "Champion", "Hotspur" "Adventure.

I remember these well! Like you, I read 'em all -- begged, borrowed or
stolen. You've forgotten the Rover. (I think they were all published by
one, perhaps two, publishers only, yet there was fierce competition between
them. At any one time, one was clearly on top, yet others would recover
with a new series with a terrific new hero. I remember Wilson, the
long-distance runner particularly. I'm sure he must have inspired Roy
Bannister too!

<<<<
I remember an English officer dressed locally called "The Wolf of Kabul".
His sidekick was an Afghan whose name I can't recall, but who had a
fearsome weapon - a cricket bat wrapped tight with metal wire.

Obviously, all these stories were really bad for a 6 year old to read --
even though good invariably triumphed over bad. I wasn't alone in reading
these. Money was scarce in the 30's - we kids would sit on the curbside and
swap the B and T's, so the early ability to read seemed to be general.

Apart from the ethos of these comics, it's occurred to me that it would be
interesting to re-read these and assess their literary quality after one
has had a lifetime of reading. As I don't have any to hand, I can't do that
right now. I suspect, however, that the quality would be surprisingly high.
The writers would have been writing huge tranches every day (did the comics
name the writers? -- doubtful, but I can't remember) and, as George Simenon
used to say: "To be a good writer, it's quantity, not quality, that counts".

<<<<
In 1973, I visited England after 20 years. There on W.H. Smith were the
wizard, the Hotspur and the rest. I picked them up.

Horror!

The old "tuppeny bloods" had hardly a picture - they were page after page
of reading material. In 1973, there had been a transformation. Now they
were end-to-end comics with just grunts of words.

I share your horror. On the other hand, maybe we're moving out of a
literary age and into an oral age. But no, young people today can't express
themselves well in speech either. Any skill that's worthwhile can be
expressed with great precision in words.

This is good market evidence of the state of British education. However,
Keith, I was taking a suburban train into London a few years ago, when a
lady boarded with three children - girls maybe 10-12 years old.

They sat down, and two of the girls took out books and disappeared into
them. The third had no book, so she contented herself by looking at the
book of the kid next to her.

I liked that. Maybe all is not lost!

All is not lost. But these would probably have been distinctly middle-class
children. In England there's a growing gulf between the two sorts of
newspapers -- the broadsheets and the tabloids -- with a huge difference in
reading abilities between them. And, of course, about 20% of the population
can't even read the simplest papers!

One of the penalties of a highly-centralised state education system, as we
have in England, is that methods of teaching are imposed across all schools
(and, indeed, spread elsewhere right across the state education systems of
the English-speaking world).  The "whole-language" approach which held that
children learn best by absorbing the meaning and sound of a word from the
context swept the board in the 70s and 80s, but it was never tested
scientifically. This was probably the cause of a great deal of the present
illiteracy. The truth of the matter is that, for most children, a phonics
method is superior, though a skilful teacher will use a variety of methods
in the case of some children with particular difficulties. (Many of the
more experienced teachers of the last 30 years or so had to break the rules
in order to teach well, but the new inexperienced teachers were afraid to
-- with result that they were nowhere near as effective and thus gradually
lost the respect of parents and children. As a consequence of this the
better university graduates that used to go into teaching 30/40 years ago
no longer do so.)

The same widespread application of misguided ideas has been the cause of
poor teaching in mathematics and science.

But there's some hope now. As I've previously reported, our state education
is breaking down and, at last, all sorts of new types of schools (state,
private and hybrids) are now being contemplated by our Ministry of
Education. We might now see a recovery in the quality of, and respect to,
teachers.

Keith

“Writers used to write because they had something to say; now they write in
order to discover if they have something to say.” John D. Barrow
Keith Hudson, Bath, England;  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]