Jan Matthieu wrote:
> Bullshit; In the days before 1973 both Soviets and Americans had their part
> in trying to influence and funding parts of Afghanistan. So for example the
> famous road from Herat via Kandahar to Kabul has been partly built with and
> by Americans and partly by the Soviets. You can easily see what the Soviets
> built: there in places where overtaking is forbidden because of curves in
> the road in mountainous parts, they built a kind of low wall in the middle
> of the road, so, if you venture on the other side you can't get back,
> sometimes for a kilometer.

Now I understand:  The Taliban came to power because the Soviets had built
walls in the middle of the road.

I always thought the Taliban came to power because they were funded, trained
and armed by the US to chase out the Soviets.  It has pretty little to do
with roads with walls.

Btw, Al Qaeda also fought (and won) in Bosnia and Kosovo, on the US side.
Of course that was the Soviets' fault too...  those darn walled roads!

> > That, and a bad foreign policy advisor too.  ;-)
>
> Well, luckily you don't have to judge my performance.

True enough, your performance suits your paymasters.  How else could it be.
But that's okay...  as long as we know the bias.  ;-)

Chris