Karen,

You're quite right, of course, in saying that railways are far more
efficient than roads.

The problem with railways (in this country anyway) is that railway crashes
are given undue publicity, even though they're rare and only a relatively
few lives are lost (averaging less than 10 per year compared with over
3,000 deaths a year on the roads). The result is that safety features being
planned are likely to make railways uneconomic in the future.

Railways made a seriously wrong turning about 150 years ago when Brunel was
developing railways in this country. Two different systems were being
proposed: (1) Pneumatic railways by which widely separated pumping stations
would draw trains (without locomotives) along partially evacuated tubes;
(2) locomotives drawing individual trains.

Even then was clear that the former was even more efficient (and safer)
than the latter. Indeed, two highly successful demonstration pneumatic
railways were built in London (1864) and New York (1870). Unfortunately,
they were then seen as short-distance metro systems and high city land
prices knocked pneumatic railways on the head. (A pneumatic system is
retained today by the Post Office in London to move mail around the city.)

Attempts were made to revive the idea in the 1960s when Lockheed engineers
proposed a Boston-Washington route, and then again in the 1990s when the
Swiss proposed a 250-mile pneumatic metro system connecting Basle, Lucerne,
Lausanne, etc. through the mountains.

At the same time as the Swiss, I was proposing a pneumatic system for
England mainly for freight transportation when I was in a gung-ho
technological phase of my life and it was given 'serious' consideration (so
officials said) by our Ministry of Transport. Anyway, they sat on it for
some months before declining to take it further (without giving me
reasons). (Indeed, a retired senior Ministry of Transport official told me
later, after I'd given a lecture on my proposal, that there was nothing
wrong with it -- just that officialdom were simply not mentally equipped to
respond to something so radical.)

I wrote a 20-page pamphlet on my proposals in non-technical language
suitable for the layman (and lavishly illustrated by yours faithfully!)
which is still quite readable and relevant. In view of what Brad (in cranky
mood?) wrote yesterday about long postings, I won't attach it here, but I'd
be happy to send a PDF to any FWer on request.

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson,6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel:01225 312622/444881; Fax:01225 447727; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]