Brad,

I'm Dad in the normal course of things, but I can also be Bluto. My number
two son used to be Little Harry as I was Big Harry - until he towered over me.

That's been changed to Harry Juvenile and Harry Senile.

And I'm still Dad and GrandDad.  And my wife was Mum, or Nana, depending on
the generation.

Pretty much all the attention is given to the donation and reception of
sperm, followed by the consequences. Those consequences are, so I
understand, among the great experiences of a woman's life. If it proves to
be difficult, I sympathize. I wonder how much of the exercise is hurried,
altered, pushed toward a quick delivery, less for the benefit of the mother
than the operating staff.

In England, two of our babies came with at home with the help of mid-wives
- much preferred by my wife.

"Mr. Pollard, please clear that up."

"Who? What! Me!!"

My wife never used any kind of drug to ease her delivery. In the Canadian
hospital, she had to scream at them not to give her anything. It seemed to
be beyond their imagination to believe that a mother might want to
experience birth without a curtain of analgesics to dim the event.
(Everyone should follow their own wishes. I'm not an advocate for or
against painkillers.)

Yet, everything before the baby is nothing compared to what comes after.

We were lucky. We brought four children to Canada, then we had our
Canadian. A larger family is easier to handle probably because parents
can't concentrate all their attention on one - something of considerable
benefit to the kids.

They have to make do thereby providing themselves with an education. I
still smile at the memory of two little kids delivering newspapers in deep
snow.

The 10 to 15 years after birth is the difficult time, yet we spend all our
argument time on conception and birth. Perhaps that is why we have so much
social trouble with teenagers.

Accept "Dad" Brad. It's not a description of a role. It's the name for a job.

Harry

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655