This came over the internet tonight.    Wasn't it Keynes that suggested war as a way of controlling the economy?    Maybe Cheney and Bush are, like Nixon was, closet Keynsians.     What do you think?     Also the Brits on this list could check out the history since it was theirs and not mine.    What do you think/

REH

Crib Sheet for Mr. Cheney: The First Hundred Years’ War

Whatever it is we are doing… making war on terrorism, seeking dominant control of Mideast and Central Asian oil reserves, or conducting a get-even vendetta against folks like Saddam whom we helped to power only a few decades ago … word is out it’s going to take a long time.

The Vice President is reported to have referred to this adventure in the sand as a Hundred Years’ War. Last June, Israeli Prime Minister Sharon used the phrase; Robert Novak and others mention it, and it seems to have legs in the political arena, especially in “let’s reshape the Middle East in our image” circles.

As a product of the public schools, I don’t know much about history, so I had to study up on the first Hundred Years’ War, running from 1337 to 1453.  Well, that’s actually more like 116 years, but if we can’t fudge numbers, we shouldn’t be working at the Pentagon.

I have to say, those smart guys leading us to war picked a good analogy, that’s for sure!

To start out with, it was both economic and personal.  The first HYW, I mean.  England drank a whole lot of French wine, partly because they liked it and partly because England couldn’t grow enough grapes to meet domestic consumption.  This import dependency was tolerable, but then in 1340 after a lot of threats, Edward III, King of England, claimed that through his mother’s lineage, he was the rightful heir to the French throne (and vineyards).

Edward III was only 18, but had Texas-sized ideas on who should rule the world.  Naturally, France didn’t really see all the finer points of Edward’s claim, and invoked the Salic Law (circa 480 A.D.) that prohibited inheritance through female lines.   Kind of like an early version of international law and about as effective.

We too have a boyish king, er…, I mean, President, energetic and hungry for war.  He’s not afraid to open up some cans of whup ass, and he can talk the talk (if not the actual English language).  Just yesterday, the administration said we’ll pre-empt anyone we want with WMD, like nukes, if we feel like it.

In early battles at Crecy (1345) and at Poiters (1356), the English took lots of French territory, and made the French cry like babies.  By 1360, prostrate France had to accept a very harsh treaty dictated by England.

Now, as then, the strong, as represented by President, er…, Vice-President Cheney, and his elderly cohorts in the Pentagon, and their elderly cohorts in Tel Aviv, all know how to dictate terms and lay down the law.  And when you are implementing Biblical prophesy, holy righteousness, and the American Way of Life, who in their right mind would have it any other way?

But as the first HYW progressed, things started to unravel.

It started with little things.  Turns out, more and more English warfighting was done by mercenaries.  And with all the budget problems the war was causing, these guys weren’t getting paid enough, and started fundraising directly through back channels with English politicians, and through abuse and confiscation of French assets.

Then the French got their religious fervor up with inspired charismatic soldiers like Joan of Arc.  This helped them in battle, as did improved tactics and methods.  Those who lose time after time sometimes learn more about winning than those who win, over and over.

And domestic problems in England started to get worse. In 1381, not even 50 years into the HYW, the English peasants revolted!  This revolution was especially powerful because merchants and industrial classes made an unusual alliance with the peasants against an increasingly rapacious government.

Mercenaries and military-congressional-industrial entities profiting from all angles in continual war, domestic economies squeezed to pay for military adventurism while domestic security suffers sclerosis, near-sightedness and dry rot, and the “enemy” taking long deep draws on the pipe of religio-righteous nationalism.  Mr. Cheney, please read this part twice, it will be on the test.

You know the rest of the story.  The impact of the English war eventually galvanized the French, setting the stage for a radical and new concept of French nationhood.  It didn’t happen immediately, but when the HYW was over, the French were back in place, stronger than ever, with a new and badder attitude.  Heck, the French attitude still annoys us, 600 years later.

To make war a national way of life, you must have ambitious political myth-makers, strategists behind the scene with murky and constantly changing objectives, and lots and lots of the precious treasure of peasants and merchants, er… taxpayers.    People might be surprised to find that war as a way of life is not a new concept at all.

Even more surprising – and scarier – is when you discover that the end result is so terribly predictable.