Keith:

> In the case of Michael Prowse's article, although he was quite right to
say
> that the earliest human groups were egalitarian to a considerable extent
> (such as sharing food), he was wrong to suggest that there would have been
> no rank orderings and thus little stress. But strict rank order has been
> found in all primate groups with consequent stress levels in all ranks
> below the top one. What's important is not to try and dissolve rank order
> in some egalitarian nirvana -- because that's impossible -- but to
organise
> our institutions with as few levels as possible.

But surely Keith, not as we construct rank, in terms of hierarchy and
inheritance.  I recall hearing testimony from the Dene (Athapaskan) people
before the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Inquiry that suggested that rank
depended on skill and knowledge.  People would follow the best hunter
because he could help them provide the most food, or they would rely on the
man or woman who could provide the best medicine or resolve difficult
problems in the community.  There was no sense of "king" or "prince" or even
of "chief".  People were followed only because they could do things better
than others.

Ed