The big paradox that egalitarians can't explain and, indeed, are in a state
of denial about, is that the more egalitarian you make the education system
the more stratified subsequent society becomes. I was part of the
working-class surge into universities that occurred when educational
reforms were brought in immediately after WWII in England. However, since
then, social movement from the lower classes to the upper classes has
slowed down perceptibly from year to year and now, almost two generations
since WWII, has largely ceased -- at least this is the situation in England
and America according to several recent surveys in both countries.

I am far from suggesting that we should not have an egalitarian school
system but the evidence is now becoming very clear that genes are at least
as important as environment in the final outcome of an individual's
educational career -- whether we are talking of state or private schools.
This is a problem that will not go away, and will become sharper from year
to year as the technological level of modern society rises. In England, we
have now reached the stage where throwing more and more money at the
educational system will not alter the outcome in any way at all.

What's needed now is more objective thought about the problem and less of
the ideology that has held almost complete sway in educational circles for
the past 50 years.

>From today's Daily Telegraph (excerpt):
<<<<
ONE IN FOUR STUDENTS FAILS TO STAY THE COURSE

John Clare
Education Editor

Nearly a quarter of the students who enrol at university and higher
education colleges leave without taking a degree.  Of the 284,000 UK
students who ought to have graduated this summer, 65,000 -- 23% -- failed
to do so, raising questions about the government's drive to encourage an
even greater proprotion of school-leavers into higher education.

Although some of the students moved to other institutions or switched to
sub-degree courses, the Higher Education Funding Council, which publishes
the figures yesterday, said that about 50,000 -- 17% -- dropped out
altogether and had nothing worthwhile to show for the experience.

While the proportion who drop out has remained steady, their numbers have
increased with the rising participation rate. The funding council
identified 14 universities at which at least a qarter of the students --
10,000 in all -- were failing year after year to obtain a qualification of
any kind.

Embarrassingly for the government, they were the same institutions that
have done most to meet its "widening access" targets by recruiting students
from the lower social classes and disadvantaged backgrounds.

Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]