Ray,

The news item said:

"The committee was appointed to look at four complaints against the book, which it said concluded that life for humankind had never been better, pollution levels were falling, and there were enough resources for current levels of prosperity to continue. It also concluded that the "colossal sums it is planned to deploy on reducing global warming will be money ill spent."

I haven't yet read the book. I have it on call from the LA Library system, which bought 9 more copies because of demand. They haven't yet got to me.

According to the Danes, Lomborg wrong in saying that:

1. "Life for humankind had never been better."

Well, what do FutureWorkers say? Before you complain about the now, think of the past.

2. "Pollution levels were falling."

They certainly appear to be in LA. I understand that's also true in the other hot spots in the US. Is Europe reducing its pollution? I fear places like China, Russia, and suchlike may not be advancing, but maybe we should wait for his conclusions. Overall, are pollution levels dropping?

3. "There were enough resources for current levels of prosperity to continue."

This might not continue, but it seems true now - or isn't it true?

4. "Colossal sums it is planned to deploy on reducing global warming will be money ill spent."

No doubt about that. If every country does all that Kyoto wants - it will put off the situation in 2098 to 2100. That is if the third world (which isn't included) doesn't increase its CO2 emissions. Expect that?

So, these criticisms are significant? Don't seem so to me.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. I've noticed that most of the criticism is of Lomborg, not of what he has written. The "species loss" evoked a strong reply from its principal advocate. But, I think, the whole discussion of species loss is pretty unclear. There seems to be very little hard information, but lots of guesswork.

As for the rest, it seems to take the course of "How dare you say that!"

People react when their pet projects are stepped on.

Ray wrote:

Remember Murray and Herrnstien?    It makes you want to reinstitute the law
of vendetta.    You cause a death your whole clan owes a life.   It can be
picked anywhere, man, woman, child.   Such an extreme makes families police
themselves.   In this case it looks like the Danes did.

REH