On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, eric stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>i am not sold on high-tech energy extraction
>
>it would seem to me that it takes a lot to make the items that process
>the clean hydrogen
>
>someone told me one time that there was a plan to press two similarly
>charged magnets together and harvest the energy - i kept asking this
>actual 'physicist' how much would go into the act of pushing and he
>kept avoiding answering

Perhaps you were a little gullible in accepting his credentials
as an "actual Physicist". Or perhaps you've badly muddled the
process he was trying to tell you about. But I'll bet on the former.

>i think it is the novelty of some of this that sells it to people's minds

>electric cars: a great way to see that some indian reservation has to
>deal with the pollution from coal - coal IS how energy is generated for
>your 'clean' electric car

Depends on where you live. All my electricity comes from hydro.
Changing North American energy production to wind, solar, etc
from obsolete sources like coal is simply an issue of public
pressure and political will. It will happen, eventually. The
less noise you make, the longer it will take.