I was fortunately able to persuade my son and his family to return to this
country from Jo'burg some ten years ago and join my business here.
Unfortunately, after a year or two, he then decided to emigrate to
Australia 'cos his SA wife wanted sunshine again. Whereas my three
grand-daughters out in the Sydney suburbs now have much less chance of
being raped they are in danger every dry season of being burned alive in
their home by yobboes who go out from Sydney and set fire to the bush
around the housing lots. My son's family has now been twice in danger from
this.

It seems that whatever country we live in of whatever standard of living,
we are all heading towards the breakdown of the sort of community which has
been the central pivot of man's behaviour for 100,000 years. Some blame
Capitalism for all this.  I blame the capital-intensive nature of our
economy mainly brought about by fossil fuels. The consequences of this have
destroyed our commitment to community in the last 200 years by making
travel and commuting all too cheap and easy and distorting the very
structure of human society way beyond anything that is desirable or safe. I
think the only answer will be when we have a totally new energy system
which will diversify production and populations once again. Without it, I
really do think we're finished as a species -- or at least the majority of
our species is. Middle-class gated communities might survive in reasonable
heart but it would still be a tragedy if these were the only pockets left.

Keith Hudson

<<<<
Sunday Times (Johannesburg)
NEWS
September 29, 2002

By Suthentira Govender
Johannesburg

A pilot study on sexual violence in South Africa's urban and rural schools
has found that many pupils admitted raping other children .

The study, conducted by Community Information Empowerment and Transparency:
Africa among 9 300 children across the country, showed that between 12% and
20% of boys and between 5% and 13% of girls in both urban and rural areas
admitted to having forced sex on children.

Neil Andersson, executive director of Ciet, presented the findings of the
pilot study at the South African Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse
and Neglect's national conference in Durban this week.

"We were shocked by the findings and took the information back to focus
groups at certain schools. The participants brazenly admitted that they did
have sex with other children without their consent."

Andersson said the study showed that child-on-child rape is fast becoming
part of a "culture of sexual violence" in South Africa.

"The children believe that this is what they have to do to be successful in
life.

"Girls in the 10 to 14 years age group made shocking revelations.

"Many claimed to have had sex with other children without their consent.

"They have tough attitudes about sex, similar to the attitudes of adult
men," Andersson said.

Many girls from the 10- to 14 -year group also expressed concern that they
could be HIV-positive.

"Focus groups in this category admitted that girl-on-girl sex without
consent and sex between a group of girls against a boy was not uncommon.

What is shocking is that these children find it normal to engage in
intercourse without consent."

The study also revealed that, by the age of 18, 30% of all schoolgoers had
been victims of sexual abuse.

Linda Dhabicharan, deputy director of Childline in Durban, attributed the
increase in child-on-child abuse to exposure to pornographic material,
violent communities and a breakdown in family life.

Social workers and prosecutors are looking at using diversion programmes,
which will empower juvenile offenders with life skills to avoid criminal
behaviour, as an alternative to prosecution.

In a paper presented at the conference, Val Melis, from KwaZulu-Natal's
Directorate of Public Prosecutions, said that when dealing with juvenile
sexual offenders, diversion programmes required a delicate balancing of the
rights of the child victim and the rights of the juvenile offender.

"It is not uncommon to receive a police docket with details of a group of
12- and 13-year-old children raping or sexually assaulting a 10-year-old
child.

"The committing of sexual offences by young people is extremely serious but
the consequences of not dealing with such offenders effectively at an early
stage of their psycho-sexual development are even more serious," she said.