Hi all:

The following review interested me because it has been my contention that
RNA is as important as DNA when studying heredity. I contend that RNA
carries forward the instinctual traits. The 'blank Slate' may be blank, but
it lends itself to being written upon more readily in the language of our
forebears.

For example, when parents,  coming from one cultural environment raise
their children in another, the learning curve is steeper than it is for
children raised in the cultural environment of their parents.

That learning curve also may account for the extra effort, and
accomplishment by children of emigrating parents. A matter of
overcompensation for a handicap

Regards
Ed G

"The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial Of Human Nature" by Steven Pinker.
Viking, 510 pages, $39.99 Toronto Star 2003/01/12

A Canadian linguist buries the notion that humans are born innocent. We are
only now beginning to understand the brain, by Michael Smith.

In a well-known cartoon, two scientists stand before a blackboard, on which
is written a long, complicated formula.  In the middle of the scrawl of
symbols is the phrase: "Then a miracle occurs." Says one scientist, "I
think you should be more explicit here in step two."

Psychologist/linguist Steven Pinker's description of what he calls the
"official theory" of human nature that there is none - brought the cartoon
to mind.  The so-called "Blank Slate" has at its heart a miracle by any
standards: the development of the enormously varied and complex human mind
from ... well ... pretty much nothing, if Pinkei's "The Blank Slate" is
correct.  Pinker's new book is an attempt to be "more explicit" about the
gap, using the increasinglypersuasive findings of the cognitive sciences.

Well-written and meticulously argued, "The Blank Slate" will undoubtedly
set the cat among the academic pigeons, for Pinker argues correctly that
the idea is political, rather than scientific.  If there are no innate
traits, then aggression; greed, nepotism and a host of other unpleasant
traits must be the result of environmental influences.  Change the
environment in just the right way and Utopia is within your grasp.  In the
absence of scientific evidence of how the mind works, the Blank Slate is
actually progressive.  It says that we don’t have'to put up with racism,
sexism, aggression, and greed. (On the down side, one mans Utopia is
anothers nightmare.  It should be enough to note that such figures as Mao
Tse-Tung and Pol Pot subscribed to the Blank Slate, without notable success
in remodelling their human materied.)

Closely linked to the Blank Slate are two other ideas: that primitive man
is basically good and gentle (the Noble Savage) and that there is a mind
(or soul) that is somehow distinct from the body and brain (the Ghost in
the Machine.)

Recent years have brought increasing scientific evidence that shows, Pinker
says, that all three are wrong, and not only wrong but actually dangerous.
For instance, US.  President George Bush hamstrung American stem cell
research at least in part because some philosophers and theologians argued
that "ensoulment" takes place shortly after conception.  In other words,
Pinker says, American policy on this promising research was decided by
asking the question: "When does the ghost first enter the machine?"

The response to earlier works that challenged the Blank Slate - E. 0.
Wilson’s Sociobiology, for instance has been angry to say the least. Wilson
was the subject of protest and calumny, and other researchers have been
called Nazis and fascists.  My guess is that Pinker has set himself up for
some of the same medicine.  That said, the evidence is swiftly accumulating
that the human mind evolved - in the same way our bodies did - to let us
survive and prosper in a complicated and dangerous world.  The mind can do
somethings astonishingly well.  For instance, we learn spoken language
automatically, as long as we're surrounded by people using language.  But
other things are much harder and take effort.  No one learns to read
automatically.

Pinker is primarily a linguist (Canadian-born, he's Peter de Florenz
Professor of Psychology at MIT) and his own field has given convincing
evidence that the human mind is not  entirely a blank slate at birth. To
the contrary, we each have what might be called a language engine - a
mental module designed by evolution and built by our genes to endow us with
a spoken language.  We do not so much learn our language as re-invent it.
The module is adjustable.  Children of English-speaking parents will learn
French, if that’s what they hear in infancy.  This book extends that idea,
proposing that our minds are a collection of many such modules, all busily
interacting with each other and the outside world.

So, for instance, Pinker notes that biological evidence suggests we should
have a module that makes us protect our children and close relatives.  This
might give rise to tribalism and, nepotism and would explain the fact that
children are much more likely to be harmed by stepparents than biological
parents. (Cases of serious harm to children by parents or stepparents
remain rare, by the way.) But if this module were adjustable on the basis
of external input - as the language module is - it could extend the
protection imperative to stepchildren, people from the next village, or
people in afghanistan.  And that's what has happened over the past few
hundred years, Pinker argues.

The first part of this book shows why the Blank Slate, the Noble Savage and
the Ghost in the Machine are no longer tenable.While there will undoubtedly
be uproar as the taboos tlunble, Pinker makes a solid case, But if these
once-progressive ideas fall to the ground, what can we put in their place?
Must we admit that race hatred, sexism and violence are bred in the bone?
Pinker argues the contrary, that knowing how the mind works will give us -
for the first time - the tools to control those evils.  Its simply not
true, he says, that an innate human nature excuses our faults; there are
some things we should do because they are morally right.  We can, in fact,
make choices - one of the consequences of our remarkably complex minds.

For instance, in the second part of the book, Pinker tackles the vexed
question of how much infuence genes play in our adult personalities.  The
answer, now becoming a consensus, is that about half the variation among us
is genetic.  The rest of the variation comes from the environment Well, so
much we thought we knew - that's why we play Mozart to our infants.  But it
turns out the environment that counts is not the home, but the peer group -
other kids, other teens.  So should parents just give up?  Does it matter
how we treat the kids, if the real influence happens outside the home?
Well Pinker says, of course you should treat the children nicely its
morally correct and besides, one day they’ll be looking after you.

This is not, in the end, a book that offers simple answers.  Instead, it
says, we are immensely complicated creatures, whose distinguishing trait
our over-developed brain - we are only now beginning to understand in
detail.  To the Blank Slate, Pinker opposes a vision of humanity at once
more hopeful and more realistic.

Reviewer Michael Smith is a Toronto based freelance science writer.