(1) A blank slate is not a blank Memorex tape.  Neither is it
a Ritz Cracker.  Etc.  This is a non-trivial assertion, because
it points out how, if we are "blank slates", that determines
the kinds of things we can become, i.e., we can't be
inserted in an Ampex tape recorder and we should not
be eaten for dinner. Etc.

(2) Since people like to quote authorities, the
man who was one of the fathers of this whole computer
thing, Alan Turing, said, as reported by his mother:

   If ever we make a computer that thinks,
   we shan't understand how it does it.

--

    What is the purpose of a person acquiring perfect French pronunciation
    if the person has nothing of value to say in any language?

We've come a long way since 1950 (we've even replaced
TTYs with CCDs, and vacuum tubes with integrated circuits...)....

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]