One of the saddest results of modern farming in England in the last 50
years has been the grubbing out of hedgerows and little copses and ponds
and the subsequent decline of many species of our flora and fauna. One
rarely hears a skylark these days, for example.

However, they're coming back to the countryside in East Anglia -- due to
genetically modified (GM) crops according to BBC radio this morning. As a
former chemist I'm warier than most about chemical things. For example, I
have never taken antibiotics for 40 years on the principle that I want them
to work for me when I really need them. Therefore, I am considerably more
sceptical of enthusaistic talk about GM than the average. Consequently, my
ears cocked when I heard this.

Apparently, the GM crops concerned (sugar beet) have been modified to be
unsusceptible to weed-killer sprays. Because of this the farmers have been
able to allow weeds to grow taller than otherwise before bopping them with
spraying them. (Presumably, more weed seeds are given opportunity to
germinate and show their heads.) With more natural weed seeds available,
more skylarks have apparently been encouraged in the last few years. It's a
win-win scenario apparently.

I'm dubious about this. This trumpeting on the part of Monsanto may be pure
propaganda. On the other hand, Monsanto might not have wanted to draw
attention to this if it wasn't so. I don't know what to think at the
moment. We need a lot more evidence, and over a longer time period, too.

But I'd certainly like to hear a skylark again. Even in this part of the
West Country, relatively rich in wild life compared with the Midlands where
I was born, I have heard only one or two skylarks in the last ten years.
Twenty years ago, butterflies largely disappeared from the Midlands.
Fifteen years ago I was delighted to see them again when I moved down here,
but since then they've been declining every year.

On balance, I think environmentalists (and I write as a former activist)
have gone rather too overboard about GM foods. The indiscriminate
intermixing of genes between different species of plant life has been going
on throughout millions of years of evolution, particularly within the large
continental blocks. This was certainly accelerated in the last two
centuries by plant collectors bringing back wild species from isolated
ecological niches and then by subsequent interbreeding with the mainstream
flora.

Keith Hudson