Don't forget all that nice clean Canadian water.  Water that is needed in
the US Southwest.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hudson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 2:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Futurework] Resource War II

I think we ought to re-name this war as Resource War II, the '92 affair in
Kuwait having been Resource War I. There must have been many other wars
over resources throughout history but these two must be the first in which
the underlying reason was so stark and from which wider repercussions are
so dangerous.

As the need for cheap oil and gas grows there'll be many other
international wars, of course, in the coming years -- in Saudi Arabia
itself (the catalyst that tripped-off the present one), Iran, the Caspian
countries, in Siberia as between China and Russian, in Nigeria and one or
two more key places. And then, when we consider the increasing shortage of
that even more vital resource, cheap fresh water (all of it recycled and
comprising only about 2% of total water on earth), which is already
becoming a concern between Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Iraq, then there'll be
more Resource Wars.

How many in the next 20 years? A dozen major wars at least I would judge.

Unless we rapidly develop the structure and powers of an independent world
resource authority with military powers -- the UN perhaps?

Keith Hudson