From: Ed Weick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 11:09 AM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Resource War II

Arthur:

> Don't forget all that nice clean Canadian water.  Water that is needed in
> the US Southwest.

In some work I did a couple of years ago, I found that we Canadians are not
very realistic in how they think about the water resources within the
Canadian borders.  We tend to believe that we have so much water that we
have to give little attention to how much of it we use, pollute, waste, etc.
We think of it as ours for all time, and that no one can take it from us or
access it without our generous permission.  We think of it as a God-given
natural endowment, and therefore not capable of commodification.

Those are some of our myths.  The realities are quite different.  One is
that much of our fresh water exists in forms which are not easily useable -
ice, including glaciers and permafrost, remote lakes and rivers, etc.
Another is that much of our water exists as boundary surface and ground
water which we must share with the US.

The US has a huge and rapidly growing demand for water and a rapidly
diminishing supply, especially in rain deficient areas such as the southwest
and California.  Proposals of an enormous scale to move Canadian water to
the US, such as "NAWAPA" and the "GRAND Canal",  have been proposed in the
past.  I would expect them to resurface within the next decade or so, but
this time with much more force and vigour.

Ed Weick