Selma, I think you've put the matter very well.  It reminds me of Thomas Merton's concept that, to understand God, we must depend on both reason and and faith.  In understanding who and what we are, we must let rational thought take us as far as we can possibly go with it.  With each passing day or year, or with each scientific breakthrough, we will know a little more, but we will then increasingly recognize that what we cannot know is much larger, perhaps infinitely larger since there may be no boundaries, than what we can know.  That is where reason ends and faith must take over.

Ed Weick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] new book

Hi Natalia,

I am familiar with The Course in Miracles; I have the book and its companion and did a little work with it some years ago; as you say, there are many paths to the same end.

I am not comfortable however, with the idea that there is no objective reality, although I doubt that my idea of objective reality is exactly like that of those who believe that's all there is.

I do think science is a very useful tool and regardless of whether one believes that it has done us more harm or more good over the long run, the reality for us, today, is that the goals of A Course in Miracles or Bhuddism or any other belief system that is based in love and forgiveness is likely to become more believable for more people if it can be shown that that belief system has a basis in scientific evidence. The fact that the effects of the mind can be seen on a screen as changes in the brain will convince a lot of people that otherwise are able to dismiss the notion out of hand. The Dalai Lama and others have also been working very closely with neuroscientists in this regard and more and more books are appearing with this theme. Likewise, physicists (as in the case of Schwartz and Begley's work, Bohm, Peat and others) are explicating similar ideas.

I think the danger with A Course in Miracles or other paths that depend solely on the power of the mind or belief is that it ignores the physical and psychological and sociological limitations that exist in reality and can really hurt people who believe it can attain its goals with this one method. I think the power of the mind is much greater than most people believe but I also think one must be very clear that there are limitations; only an awareness of those limitations will make it possible to overcome them.

Selma