On  Wed, 28 May 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>when uncertainty becomes unbearable, faith provides solace.

> Ed Weick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [wrote:]

>>Selma, I think you've put the matter very well.  It reminds me of Thomas
>>Merton's concept that, to understand God, we must depend on both reason
>>and faith.  In understanding who and what we are, we must let
>>rational thought take us as far as we can possibly go with it.  With
>>each passing day or year, or with each scientific breakthrough, we will
>>know a little more, but we will then increasingly recognize that what we
>>cannot know is much larger, perhaps infinitely larger since there may be
>>no boundaries, than what we can know.  That is where reason ends and
>>faith must take over.

>>Selma  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Singer  [wrote:]

>>>Hi Natalia,
>>>
>>>I am familiar with The Course in Miracles; I have the book and its
>>>companion and did a little work with it some years ago; as you say,
>>>there are many paths to the same end.
>>>
>>>I am not comfortable however, with the idea that there is no objective
>>>reality, although I doubt that my idea of objective reality is exactly
>>>like that of those who believe that's all there is.

I regard the subjective reality of Berkeley as possessing equal validity
as the objective reality of western science, and I think the true
nature of reality embraces them both in a synthesis beyond the
apparent paradox our limited understanding perceives, analogous to
the synthesis of wave and particle, or other such complements
which abound in physics. The world of subject and object is a
result of a symmetry breaking event analogous to that which brought
the multiplicity of fundamental forces into being.

Furthermore, I applaud uncertainty, and hold that the position of
agnosticism is the first step in understanding. You can't learn til
you assume the position that you don't know. I see no value in
abandoning that position in favour of faith. Rather, I promote
the concept of active introspection, to replace agnosis with
gnosis by direct experience.

As far as the "mind", there are problems with the precision of
terms, and much is lost in translation from the philosophies of
other cultures. The concept of "no mind" in Buddhism is not
an endorsement of an objective reality of a western nature,
rather a rejection of the arcane profusion of mental "worlds"
in some other eastern philosophies. However, from the simple
western perspective, one can say, to illuminate the nature of
mind, that either you have one, or there is no "you", rather
"you" are one of the filler bodies, extras added to the world to
bulk out the crowd scenes, golems which have no experiences
and no subjective existence, ie no one home. This is a useful
distinction to introspect on, to explore the nature of the bare
essence of being, which is where one can apply one's attention to
pry open the secrets of the true nature of reality.

              -Pete V